Static Electricity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gonzo3333, May 13, 2009.

1. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I was over at a friends house on Monday night with my uMBP, he just bought some new couches that are made from this material that seems to create static from the slightest movement of your arm or leg or any kind of adjustment you make on the couch. I guess the actual question I am asking is, would it hurt my computer if I had it on my lap on that couch and shocked myself could it potentially damage the computer?

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Static electricity can cause damage to electronics.

3. Gonzo3333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

That's pretty much what I thought. I'll have to tell him to get a humidifier or some kind of anti-static spray, maybe an Invisible Shield for his couch:D.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Static can damage any electronic item only if it comes in contact with something like a capacitor or charge shield (on the PCB)! I'm certain Apple would've taken precaution to attach a static dissipator conductor inside the MBP.

Thats why its suggested you touch a metallic object before touching any internal component!

Dont worry... its not that serious as you might imagine! As long as he opens his MB p and spreads the internals on his sofa, he should, repeat, should be fine!

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The main board can be suseptible via the connection ports.

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

There's plastic around the ports for a reason. The risk of damaging your PCB is almost negligible. If you're really concerned, just touch the alu body on the palmrest. It's a non issue until you touch something else if you're already touch the computer.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, there's nothing to worry about. The machine's metal casing is a huge faraday cage, and while the ports are somewhat vulnerable as bruinsrme points out, you would have to literally try (and probably pretty hard) to zap them since the charge is almost always going to jump to the case.

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

One time I walked up to my MBP (I was wearing socks on a carpeted floor, so I had a lot of static built up) and touched the touchpad before touching the metal case. There was a static discharge, and the touchpad and keyboard didn't work until I rebooted. I've had the same thing happen with the USB ports on my desktop PC. Luckily, no permanent damage was done.

You can make your own antistatic spray cheap by mixing a bit of household fabric softener in water. Don't use too much fabric softener or it might leave a residue, and obviously don't spray it directly on your MBP.