static-free surface for DIY HD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JES, Jul 7, 2009.

1. JES macrumors member

Hi All,

So thanks to the info on this forum, I think I'm going to take the plunge with a new internal HD. My question: what do you use for a static free surface when you actually open the thing up and do the upgrade? I'd hate to zap my machine in the process of improving it. I've upgraded the RAM with no problem just on a table top and I've also upgraded the hell out of an old G5, but this is the first time I'm really going inside the notebook. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--JES

2. Halon X macrumors regular

I upgraded my RAM / Hard Drive while sitting on the couch with the laptop in my lap watching TV.

If anything I'd say the RAM is more sensitive than the HD so do what you did when you upgraded the RAM and you'll be OK!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never took extreme precautions when upgrading my computers. The only thing I make sure I do, is touch the metal chassis to discharge any possible static electricity, other then I go to town and upgrade it on my desk.

4. Demthios macrumors member

Yup I'm maflynn I always just make sure I touch the metal case when ever I work on any laptop or desktop. If you wanna go one safer you can pick up a static strap, most of your local computer stores sell them.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

A cement or tile floor would be good, but basically any hard surface should be fine. Carpet is bad, especially if you are wearing socks.

6. Pegasus665 macrumors member

Pegasus665

A wooden surface or glass. In the UK, ground yourself by touching the radiators or could buy a anti-static wrist band of ebay for a couple of dollars/pounds.

7. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I did it on my wooden dining room table, which has a hard wood floor while not wearing socks :p

although i did have it on a towel b/c i didnt want to scratch up the top of it...

lol, probably a bit counter productive.