Resolved Static/Humming from internal PBG4 15" 1.67

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Mar 7, 2014.

1. gavinstubbs09, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Recently got my PowerBook and really like it! Another post will be on the way with some other things I'll need to fix.

However, as soon as OS X Leopard was done installing, as soon as I got to the desktop the speakers are making this humming sound. Quiet, but loud enough to bug you. Anyone have remedies for this? Really don't want to take it apart again but if I need to I will :)

----------

Found out it was the fans. Whoops!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Are you sure the sound is from the speakers, and not fan noise?

Does the hum go away if you mute the speaker volume?

Any change if you plug in headphones? (That should also mute the speakers, just using hardware rather than software)

If there's no change in the hum - does it change when you unplug the power adapter?

3. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I actually did try all three of those. I'm a tard. Realized it was the fans! I'm hoping that when I take it apart again I'll go ahead and apply some new Artic 5 in hopes the noise will go down with the lower temps.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Be sure to check your Activity Monitor. After an OS X upgrade, you may just have Spotlight database update, which would run at a fairly high CPU until it completes. And, the fans would be pretty normal for that...