Static IP & locations. Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Victor ch, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Hi,

At my house, the internet has static IP and must be assigned to any device that wants to connect to the internet (cause to have decent internet years ago in Costa Rica you must had this stupid IP addresses and DNS stuff.) Just wondering can you assign IP addresses to the iPhone? if so can you adjust it with locations as I have it in my computer? And.... do you get to know the MAC address of the iPhone, i need this for using internet that has secure internet stuff. Thanks in advance.

-Victor

2. bmustaf macrumors regular

Use a NAT device (read: any router, an airport) and share that ip and dns settings behind it with a private network.

Plain english: go buy an airport...plug it in, configure it with the static IP, connect everything you want to it (incl. iPhone), everything will look to your provider like it is that IP and will use DNS forwarding, too.

3. Victor ch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

I've got an airport, the new one with 802.11n and work great.. just that i will be travelig from home to school every weekday and on my computer i have 2 locations automatic and home(configured with its DNS, Router address and static IP), can i do the same in the iphone? thanks

-Victor