Static sensation while on charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Seansafc89, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Seansafc89 macrumors newbie

Okay so I received my 15" BTO MBP yesterday. Naturally I played about with it all day and drained the battery. When charging, I noticed a strange sensation when touching the laptop. There's a very slight static charge feeling on the metal case. If I touch it with both hands at the same time the sensation disappears, indicating it was most likely a simple grounding issue.

Plenty of searching later and it appears to have been common on Macbooks for a while because of the metal body, and the solution was to use the extension plug included with previous MBPs as they were grounded. Sadly these aren't included with the new models.

My question is... Is there anything available for the new Macbook Pros yet that do the same job? Or is the sensation something you quickly forget about?

2. seadragon Contributor

You can use the extension cables from previous models if you have one. Or you can also buy an extension cable (the one that Apple should have included in the first place).

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

As Seadragon said, best to use the long extension cable from a previous gen. It's a very common complaint I've encountered.

The reason is because the small adapter cable isn't earthed whereas the longer lead is (well, something like that). So when running on the small adapter that plugs straight into the power block, the aluminium on your Mac tends to get a bit of charge through it.

EDIT: I noticed you mentioned the above in your post. Sorry!

4. pookitoo macrumors regular

pookitoo

5. Seansafc89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was unaware the previous extension plugs were compatible. The description on the Apple website doesn't appear to be very up to date! Thanks for the help.

6. viljamip macrumors regular

They only promise 29W with USB-C. Thats half the power and charging speed of the 13" MBP charger. That might do if you have the non-touch bar model as it only uses about 15W at full load. The touch bar 13" uses about 30W so it would not charge nor drain. 15" uses about 85W its battery would drain if you ran it at full load. I'd wait a little so manufacturers can catch up with their power adapters.

7. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

This happens on iPhone and iPad too. The aluminium casing becomes slightly live. Nothing to worry about though, I don't think. If it were a Samsung product though...