Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
UK
:eek:Well, I'm not usually one to complain about things like this...and tbh this post isn't really a complaint, more or less an observation.

Twice now this had happened, I've had my iPhone 5 plugged into my work PC charging, Ive left my desk to do something, returned a few moments later and about to wake my phone to see if I missed any calls or messages and as I touch the handset near the home button...I get a static shock! Just happened now..and some day last week, which at the time I thought was my imagination.

So, has anyone else experienced static shock with their iPhone 5? cant't say I noticed this with my iPhone 4.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Never happened here on my 4S.

I suggest touching other object first before touching your phone (probably something that is rubber).

Big-T

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Most likely the phone isn't shocking you, you are shocking the phone. The static charge is probably built up on you, and since your phone is plugged in it acts as a path to ground when you touch it, and *zap*.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Most likely the phone isn't shocking you, you are shocking the phone. The static charge is probably built up on you, and since your phone is plugged in it acts as a path to ground when you touch it, and *zap*.

Hmm.. probably... it IS a carpeted office. But I find it strange as I would use my iPhone 4 in the exact same set up, plugged into my PC on my desk mon-fri and never experienced it:confused:

just found this old article via google.

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-warn-ipod-iphone-users-about-static-shocks-2044353/

I am wearing a jumper today thats made of some polyester fibers.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don't get the static shock, but I do notice that if the phone is plugged in and charging, that I can sometimes feel a tingle if I run a finger across the aluminum. It's the exact same sensation on a MacBook Air. Aluminum is conductive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.