Static shocks with macs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So I was editing a bunch of photos I took whilst on holiday. My left arm remained static hovering over a few keys with my thumb on my iMacs metal keyboard whilst my left elbow just touches the Macbook. It took a while (and reproducible!) but after 10 seconds it gets too much and feels like something building up. I don't want to leave my arm there long enough to get a proper shock off it :p.

Whenever my unibody Macbook or older 12" PB are plugged into the mains running your finger over it quickly makes it feel bumpy too. It's not just our mains either! Happened at other homes, universities etc.

Anyone else done this?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

That happened to me when I was traveling abroad with the 12" PowerBook. Specifically when on a 220volt source. I haven't had this voltage leakage happen here with the same machine in the US (using the same power supply).

3. djellison macrumors 68020

I've regularly had small shocks off Mac laptops, both in the UK and in the US.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

This happens why you are touching something that is connected to a power socket and then your Mac. It took me a bit to figure it out, but that is the cause. When I touch my iPod Video when it's in the dock and then my MacBook Pro, I will feel that sensation. It also happens with my iPhone in the dock.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I've had this from Powerbook's also, where the paint has chipped away and I can touch direct metal by the palmrests.

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Check that something else, like a cell phone, wasn't plugged in near your computer. This happens a lot if I have a phone or batteries charging from the same power source.

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This happens when you have separate conductive surfaces with separate electrical grounds. No big deal. Just don't go sticking a fork in the socket ;)