Static/Snow on Second Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jedivulcan, Oct 8, 2009.

1. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I just walked in the door and shook my mouse to wake up the screen. My Macbook Pro's display came up instantly (and normally) but the second monitor... a SyncMaster 220WM hooked up via mini displayport to DVI, showed nothing but snow... like exactly what you'd see if a TV station wasn't getting reception.

I'm running on the 9600m GT at the moment. 2.66Ghz C2D mid-2009 MBP unibody.

I waited about two minutes... and the image of my second desktop came back to normal in an instant. No excessive fan or heat... no need to restart, no kernel panic... nothing of that sort. And the kind of static that showed up again reminded me of either a TV channel with no reception... or the static you see when you boot into a PS3 game via HDMI... you get a momentary bit of static when it negotiates the HDCP signal.

I never encountered this issue using the same cable connected to my SR MBP with DVI.

Is this a graphics card issue? or an issue with the mini-displayport DVI adapter? Was it having a hard time negotiating HDCP? Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

My Dell does this every now and then as well. Granted, I'm using mini to VGA though.

After a few minutes it's fine. Strange... I thought the days of letting the monitor "warm up" died in the CRT days. :D