Statically mount SAMBA / CIFS shares

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DN667, Nov 24, 2009.

1. DN667 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a Linux fileserver running Samba for file sharing. On my Mac (OSX 10.5.8) I want to have my shares automatically mounting.

What would be the best way to accomplish this? I know I can install an AFP or NFS file server on my Linux system, but I'd rather stick with Samba, as all my other systems are on Samba too.

I'd like to have my shares mounted when logging in (as I have some public and some personal shares, my Mac has several user accounts, for each account there are some shares on the Samba server).

Best, DN

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Mount the shared drive, then head to:
    System Preferences
    Accounts
    Login Items
    Click +, and locate the mounted share device. Add it.

If SMB=Samba(?), then I know it will work, but you should try it either way. You may get the login prompt though, I forgot if that happens whether or not you save the password to the keychain.

3. DN667 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Madog,

Thanks for the tip, it works!

There's one more thing that'd I'd like to achieve: after logging in, the Finder shows all the shares I mount by opening them in a separate Finder window (so when logging in I get about 10 Finder windows opened). Nothing big, but still a tad annoying. Any idea how to get rid of that? Clicking the "Hide" option in the Login items doesn't do the trick.

Thanks again!