Status Audio HD One Headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MrXiro, Jan 7, 2015.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

So I was randomly checking out some youtube videos yesterday and cam across some guy's top 5 picks for 2014 headphones. His number one was these things called Status Audio HD One.

I check them out at their website at www.thestatusaudio.com and they seem pretty nice. Their headphones cost $49.00 with a 20% off promotion currently running and tax free outside of NY, 8 bucks shipping though.

A few reviews have stated that the band feels cheap and plastic-y but the sound is pretty decent and the headphones themselves feel very nice.

Wondering who has tried these out and wanted to get some opinions. There are only a handful of reviews, I think I came across maybe 10 total between videos and written ones.

I ordered a pair, ended up being $46 shipped. But they no longer offer iOS headphone cables, only the 1 button ones that work for both Android and iOS that is missing the volume controls.

Let me know what you think of these if you've tried them!

2. mmmmblop macrumors newbie

have them

I bought 2 sets this past summer when there were barely ANY reviews. took a chance because a. I'm an headphone enthusiast and own many and b. it was nice to see doing an audio brand doing something different from the norm

I can honestly say these offer a pretty incredible price/performance ratio. Sound-wise, they take a few hours to "break-in" the drivers but once they do I put them on par with the sound signature of new beats studio, sol republic, and SMS. I've read some reviews that put it up against ATH-M50 but that may be a stretch

Build is solid. It's plastic but it has a rubberized finish which really firms it up and feels solid. Overall they are pretty light but feel substantial. The headband isn't some big padded thing like DJ headphones, but I've never had comfort issues.

Perhaps my fav part is the fact they are super clean looking and don't have logos on it (when they say "no logos" they mean it)

AS I mentioned in previous thread, I wear these in my office and I get asked about them constantly. Probably influenced 5 co-workers to buy

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Thanks for the review! I'm still waiting on mine... allegedly they're shipping today. Here's hoping. I'd love to see this brand get bigger if they make a good product!

4. TBONE72 macrumors regular

Did you get yours yet? I ordered a pair as well based on posts here and other review and I gotta say they sounds great! I'm no audio expert but I do love music and have spent a lot of time with headphones.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

6. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Just got mine in the mail yesterday! Burned them in last night while I slept and used them for a little bit today. They sound pretty damn good. Nice wide sound stage. Good solid bass with not too much roll off. The treble has a lot of "sparkle" which some people like but I find it a little shrill at high volumes. But overall it's a VERY good sounding headphone for under 50 bucks. They only tax you if you live in NY.

Percussion instruments do really really well on this and music is really full sounding.

My only dig against it is that it feels really "cheap". Kind of like holding a cheap plastic Android phone after holding an iPhone. They are very light weight and the plastic feels low grade despite the matte finish. But the price needs to come off somewhere and better the aesthetics/plastics than the sound quality. They don't feel like they're easy to break though FYI. Just a very light polymer of plastic.

The SQ is definitely worth the price though. I'd put these up there with Solo2 in sound quality with a tinge less "boom" and vibration on the low end.

That said though I've always said that the Beats Solo2 (which actually do sound pretty good) should be a $99 pair of headphones though in non-bloated mark-up world.

I got the Classic model, kind of wish I got the Jet Black instead though. I'll write more when I have more time later.

----------

It ended but it only saves you a whopping $3 from the current price since they're doing free shipping at $49 and there is no tax if you're outside of NY.

I paid $46 cause they charged 8 bucks for shipping.

7. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Thanks for the write up. I'm interested in hearing more. I'll be keeping my eyes on these.

8. mmmmblop macrumors newbie

Thanks for the write-up you actually descrived the sound signature better than I could.

As far as build quality, I agree the Status are light, but I wouldn't say cheap. To me they feel pretty durable and I've dropped them a bunch of times and seem to hold up.

But then again I'm preferential to lighter phones as they tend not to fatigue my head...

9. MrXiro, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah they do seem durable. I guess they just seem too light to be sturdy, but I've run around with them all day. Tomorrow I'll put them through a test at the gym.

I did a quick comparison tonight with the Solo2s, listening to The Monster by Eminem at the store. I've come to the conclusion that these are actually better sounding than the Solo2s. The stereo imaging "big" spatially. The Solo2s sound very closed in, like the sound is wrapped up and tight in around your ears, while the Status is like listening in a larger room and all the instruments have room to really breath. It's not the same as the soundstage which is how wide the audio is though. The soundstage is pretty similar between the two though

These just seem more open. You usually get this kind of sound from open headphones like Grados. With those headphones anyone around you can hear your music because the back is actually wide open.

I did get a bit of fatigue from these headphones on my ears. They are a weird fit, not quite on ear and not quite over the ear. It's bigger than most on ear headphones but smaller than over the ear ones. My ears kind of sit half in and half on, not uncomfortable but my top of my ears do feel a little clamping.

Back to the sound the bass is actually a lot closer than I thought, with the Solo2 just getting a slight edge but really not by much. They just have a bit more rumble to them, whether you like that is personal preference.
    Overall The Status Audio HD One are just brighter than the Solo2s and you'll actually appreciate the music more with these guys. I noticed that rock songs are particularly good. You hear a lot more percussion as I mentioned before. Metallica's The Memory Remains sounded really good bringing out the cymbals and drums more distinctly than I've ever noticed before. I'm not a big fan of using these headphones with a lot of shill guitars though. Stuff like Colbie Caillet sounds a little too bright at the high end for my ears, it actually makes me want to turn it down a notch or two, but some people might enjoy it more than me.

That's all for now. I'll keep updating with my thoughts as I check these guys out further.