Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
i'm not sure what its really called but its the thing that happens when something is working in the background next to the carrier name. Seems there are times where it runs nonstop (even on the normal homescreen), not even swiping all the programs away will make it go away.

Only thing to fix it is a reboot of the phone.

Anyone else experience this?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
i'm not sure what its really called but its the thing that happens when something is working in the background next to the carrier name. Seems there are times where it runs nonstop (even on the normal homescreen), not even swiping all the programs away will make it go away.

Only thing to fix it is a reboot of the phone.

Anyone else experience this?

I did once, after a restore as new at that. And it wasn't syncing anything in the background.

I did a reset (home + power) and it hasn't happened since. That was about a month ago.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I did once, after a restore as new at that. And it wasn't syncing anything in the background.

I did a reset (home + power) and it hasn't happened since. That was about a month ago.

well, i'm not talking about syncing, its just the phone working in the background. my first thought is it has something to do with Pandora, so I am going to stop using it for a while and see if that fixes it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
well, i'm not talking about syncing, its just the phone working in the background. my first thought is it has something to do with Pandora, so I am going to stop using it for a while and see if that fixes it.

I was actually talking syncing just stating the data spinning thing was going when I knew it wasn't syncing.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Nothing to do with Pandora. Mine did it straight after a clean install and setting up as a new phone. A hard reset cured it.

Then a few days later it happened again. I did a fresh install after that and it went away...only to return again. A hard reset cures it temporarily.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I was actually talking syncing just stating the data spinning thing was going when I knew it wasn't syncing.

yes I have had that happen before on another phone, and yes a restart does fix that.

but this is completely unrelated to syncing period.

it is completely stuck on something working in the background

----------

Nothing to do with Pandora. Mine did it straight after a clean install and setting up as a new phone. A hard reset cured it.

Then a few days later it happened again. I did a fresh install after that and it went away...only to return again. A hard reset cures it temporarily.

so this happens to you and you just deal with it basically?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
yes I have had that happen before on another phone, and yes a restart does fix that.

----------

It goes away for weeks on end but does eventually come back.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

----------

For those (and it's not that many) that had it happen a restart gets rid of it for good in the vast majority of cases. That said, there can certainly be something else unusual to it for some minority as well that could cause it to come back and/or various other even more unusual issues.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
For those (and it's not that many) that had it happen a restart gets rid of it for good in the vast majority of cases. That said, there can certainly be something else unusual to it for some minority as well that could cause it to come back and/or various other even more unusual issues.

it does come back after resets.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I've had this happen on iOS 7.1 specifically on my iPod touch... Dunno if this is a bug, but I can confirm it comes back. Hoping to see it gone in iOS 8

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
status wheel spins constantly

----------

:confused:

I don't know how else to state that it's completely unrelated to syncing before you get it. Lol

----------

Btw. It was coming back on my phone because automatic app update was on. Once I turned it off it never came back.

Default setting was on, at least for me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
it does come back after resets.
:confused:

I don't know how else to state that it's completely unrelated to syncing before you get it. Lol

----------

Btw. It was coming back on my phone because automatic app update was on. Once I turned it off it never came back.

Default setting was on, at least for me.
Yeah, the best I could tell is that it was somehow connected to the App Store, like some stuck download (even one you can't really see) or something like that. I don't have any auto updates or installs enabled so the one time it came up for me like that a restart got rid of it for good. Having read various threads with the same behavior, for the most part restarts got rid of it for different people as well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I mean seriously, is that what you're worried about?! A spinning icon?
If it means (possibly even consistent) data and/or battery usage that can't be explained, then why wouldn't someone worry about that?

Bossbhavesh

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
This happens in iOS 7.1 Whenever you start a download in App Store and stop it (not pause). The data wheel keeps spinning on the homescreen. A restart fixes it. Happens again if you repeat the above steps..

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
If you assume you have data consumption that you cannot explain...
Under settings there is a list of apps with data usage for each one individually. You might want to check that then, but a spinning wheel doesn't have to mean there's actually something wrong. A spinning wheel can also be just an icon that didn't properly disappear...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you assume you have data consumption that you cannot explain...
Under settings there is a list of apps with data usage for each one individually. You might want to check that then, but a spinning wheel doesn't have to mean there's actually something wrong. A spinning wheel can also be just an icon that didn't properly disappear...
That still means that something is wrong, even if there's nothing that's actually happening and the wheel spins for no reason.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I noticed this problem yesterday. I had to revert back to an iPhone 4 (from 5S) and the battery life (among other things) was pretty bad and I noticed the spinning "wheel" for most of the day.

Tried a Hard Reset and see if that does anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.