Statusbar or Menubar?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dock Status, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Dock Status macrumors regular

ilifeTouch is building two apps that are going to use the words Menubar or Statusbar in them.

Which name is correct and what is the correct way to spell that name?

2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Apple uses "menu bar" and "status bar" on their support site and in their docs. They refer to different areas on the screen and are two separate "bars".

3. Dock Status thread starter macrumors regular

Need more info!

LaWally please would love more info on this? Two separate bars?

I thought they were the same thing just two different names.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Menu Bar is the bar at the top of your screen:
    ScreenCap 21.PNG
    The Status Bar is located at the bottom of Safari's window (and some other apps).
    ScreenCap 22.PNG

5. Dock Status thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You..

I don't mind looking like an idiot as long as I get my answer. This schooling was very helpful. Thanks

6. interrobang macrumors 6502

Well, the menu bar is always the menu bar: the single strip all across the top of the screen with the Apple, File, Edit, etc. menus.

Generally speaking, a "status bar" could be any rectangular area of the screen that displays the status of something, like the one at the bottom of Safari.

But technically speaking, there is a special class of "status bar" that holds "status items." Confusingly, there is only one of these in OS X, the system status bar, which is always at the right side of the menu bar. Theoretically, Apple could enable others, but right now this is not supported. And this is developer-speak; only people who read the developer docs would understand this special use of the term "status bar." That is why the developers would use the term.

So when talking to users, just refer to the menu bar.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

This.

If you look at preference panes and such, which may offer the option of displaying "status bar" items, they always refer to the location of the display as "the menu bar". Bluetooth, Time Machine, Wi-Fi (sorry: Airport), even Clock. They all have a checkbox that says something like "Display blah blah in menu bar". Not status bar.

Also look at Finder's Status Bar (show/hide is under View menu) and Safari's Status Bar (also under View menu). The location is completely different: Finder's is at top of window, but below toolbar (10.6 and earlier), while Safari's is at bottom of window. Also note the window vs. screen distinction: a Finder or Safari status bar is in each window, but there's always only one menu bar even when its content changes for different apps and windows.