Stay at home this Friday!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Nov 25, 2013.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I like it.

The mix of Black Friday and Armageddon makes for a nearly perfect dark comedy moment.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

Pretty good. I'll be avoiding any and all stores, just like every other year.

4. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

That video is fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Captures the madness in a funny way.

I wonder how they filmed in/at the stores. Did they get permission?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That was pretty funny, thanks for posting it OP.

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yep, I'm not planning on it. I never do Black Friday, out of principle.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Black Friday is a scam and that segment of Americans who stand in line in frigid temperatures and trample others to save a few bucks are the willing idiots.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304281004579217863262940166?mod=e2tw

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Stay home this Friday!

I wish I could, but as you are not my boss I'll have to go to work!

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Video was funny except for the sections showing the storming of the stores. That reality is scary.

Never have visited any store on Black Friday and never will. Don't like crowds and it's much more comfortable to shop online.

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

I have also never been shopping on Black Friday, and certainly don't plan on it. Can't say I absolutely won't ever, but it's not in the cards for sure.

Contrast that to my ex-girlfriend, who still tells me "just wait…when your kid is old enough, you'll be out there every year!!" She goes out with full plans and maps and god-knows what else and spends all day shopping. I tell her she's crazy. She assures me that I will never skip one to get that one toy for the kid. I'd rather pay full price and get it the week before.

11. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

I've been once in my entire life. It was at a Toys R US. This was when the first Zune player was released and they were selling it dirt cheap. Long story short, it was just like some of the scenes in the video. Never again will I take take part in any Black Friday mess.

However .... On Black Fridays around the afternoon time, I head over to Home Depot and find some amazing deals for myself. No craziness going on over there. Radio Shack is another sleeper on Black Fridays.

12. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Hmm. Am in the market for a nail gun. Never thought of Home Depot on Black Friday. I may just have to deviate from my stay-at-home tradition.

Thanks for the tip!

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    EVERYWHERE is bad on Black Friday. Even Home Depot.

If there's a sale, there will be blood.

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You don't always save on purchases made on Black Friday. If it's not more than a 30% discount, it's not a bargain. Retailers hike prices above the profit point, then discount down to the profit point, usually 70% of the false price.

15. Aspasia macrumors 65816

LOL, as it turned out, however, found a good bargain at our local Sears store: a Craftsman nail gun with compressor on sale for $69. Was tagged for Black Friday, but was able to buy it online for that price for store pick-up. Since I was IN the store and the sales guy used their computer to make my online purchase, took less than ten minutes.

Will be installing trim on Friday, rather than dodging crazed shoppers. :)

16. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Isn't it World War Z?

17. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

The Home Depot near me is like any normal day on Black Friday. It's also next to a Best Buy, Toys R US and I think a Marshalls. The mob of Black Friday shoppers just don't go into Home Depot.

18. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I saw an ad today while at work (I work at a restaurant, it was a slow day). I can't remember the store it was for, but they had on sale a 16 GB iPhone 5S for... $189 w/ 2 year contract through Verizon or AT&T????? Why in the world would anybody line up before the sun is even up to get $10 off an iPhone 5S? Or $20 off a PS4 or xBox One, or to get a 3D T.V. retail price for $1,500 on sale for $1,350? I would rather pay full price than stand outside in the cold like an idiot to save a few bucks. Years ago the deals used to be actually pretty decent, but now I could get a better deal on Amazon any 365 days of the year.

19. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

Several years ago, I had to work at a store on Black Friday. I remember it was o crowded, you could have lifted your feet off of the floor and not fall down. People were grabbing multiples of everything while other people waited for them to turn around so they could take items out of their cart. It's not for me. I'll be home with my wife and kids watching movies this Friday. They can keep their "deals".
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This year is the first black friday my company is providing as a "holiday", the prior times I had to take a vacation day. Now with that said, I'm not planning on going out shopping or anything crazy like that.

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Seen some 'Black Friday' adverts over here for the first time ever. Hopefully it won't catch on like it has in the US. In my humble opinion, the entire thing bat**** insane

22. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Unfortunately, it will :(.

23. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

I don't think it'll catch on with the folks that don't celebrate Thanksgiving it's not a bridge day. My wife and daughter will be at work and school tomorrow.

I will refuse to participate in thing like black Friday, there is no deal worth it.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I've gone a few times, but I usually don't go. My wife and daughter love going out on Black Friday and my son and I stay home.

25. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Especially after all the madness dies down. Usually there are a bunch of broken items that people smashed in the craziness that you can get for pretty cheap. That, or if you are only shopping for yourself and not others, go the day after Christmas. Everybody returns things, so they sell them as open boxes. This applies to anywhere really.