Stay awake with the lid closed?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by boomhower, Aug 24, 2012.

1. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'm still new to OS X and trying to figure things out. With Windows there was a setting so the notebook didn't go to sleep when the lid was shut, it just kept humming along. Is there a setting like this somewhere in OS X? I would like to keep my airplay going on the Apple TV with the lid of the notebook shut.

2. hafr macrumors 68030

There is no such setting in OS X since Lion, but with this app it's possible: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37991/nosleep

3. Arizor macrumors member

4. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Be careful, Apple machines are designed to be thinner and quieter than their PC counterparts, which means they often run a bit warmer.

I've had trouble with running Mac laptops closed in the past. They don't die or anything, but I certainly noticed a performance hit as the system scales back as it desperately tries to keep itself from overheating.

6. hafr macrumors 68030

Good point (which is why I also quoted the OP), I wouldn't recommend using this app and running the laptop in clamshell mode when doing heavy lifting that makes the computer run hot.

7. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

All I'm doing is using AirPlay to stream video, I can't imagine that would require to much heavy lifting but I'll keep an eye on it.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123