Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
My new $500 Windows Machine works! And if something happens, I have a PHYSICAL copy of Windows that will allow me to EASILY start again. I don't think it's too much to ask that I be able to BUY an OPERATING SYSTEM at THEIR store? Why is that so UNREASONABLE to apple lemons? Just because Apple says that's the way it is, doesn't make it RIGHT!

You spelled "lemmings" wrong....

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
My new $500 Windows Machine works! And if something happens, I have a PHYSICAL copy of Windows that will allow me to EASILY start again. I don't think it's too much to ask that I be able to BUY an OPERATING SYSTEM at THEIR store? Why is that so UNREASONABLE to apple lemons? Just because Apple says that's the way it is, doesn't make it RIGHT!

You could have done a physical copy yourself so stop bitching and get over it!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I've got a one-and-a-half year old who gets really frustrated when she tries to do something and gets angry if your try to help her. When you finally manage to help her, she becomes all smiles and struts around, proud as a peacock.

I'm pretty sure she would sound just like the OP if she could put her thoughts on paper.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Two weeks ago I bought a copy of Mountain Lion. It refused to install on my Macbook Pro because it conflicted with Lion. My computer got caught into a conflict loop and refused to start. I ran it a couple of times but it kept timing out, then it caused bad sectors in my Hard Drive.

I took it to the Apple Store, the "Genius'" fixed my Hard drive, but that was it. I took it home and formatted the Hard Drive, still the same issue. Found a copy of Snow Leopard and that isn't even compatible with my Macbook. WTF??????

All of this wouldn't be so frustrating if they actually sold physical copies of their ***** OPERATING SYSTEM! HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, Apple and their Digital Only BS. How am I supposed to download your software when it ONLY runs on YOUR computers and it was YOUR software that f'ed my machine in the first place?

My only option now is to go back to the stupid Genius Bar - nearest Apple Stores are an HOUR from my house in either direction! Drop it off and hope they'll install the stupid operating system for free. All of this because Apple is run by a bunch of *******s who think they know what's best instead of giving customers a choice. I'm NEVER buying another Apple product, even though technically I need it for work.

So let me get this straight:

Mountain Lion has already sold 3+ millions of digital copies, and you advise anyone to stay away from it because it allegedly destroyed your computer? I have been doing incremental updates from 10.5 Leopard. I have never ever needed to install OS X again. And I have been using the computer for all sorts of stuff (gaming, video editing, I also have Windows installed...).

From a programmer's perspective, there must be something wrong before you began installing mountain lion. The problem lied dormant until the Mountain Lion's install touched some files it needs to upgrade and the problem appeared.

It's not uncommon for existing problems to appear during installation requiring a complete reinstall because the user payed absolutely NO ATTENTION to the use of the system, as it's not uncommon for outstanding problems to be fixed with an upgrade, even if the upgrade was not intended to fix those (you know, old corrupted files get replaced by new and working ones).

But in all my years having a Mac (12+) and doing some extreme things with them, I have never ever encountered a problem that would keep me from booting and formatting my disk to install a new OS from scratch.

It can also be a hardware problem, have you ever thought of that? HDDs behave like the way you described a little before they "die", sometimes they behave properly afterwards and then they shutdown and don't start again. I would replace the HDD of this machine immediately.

That said, you should always keep a hard copy of the latest digital copies of the OSs. Burning a copy of Lion and Mountain Lion in an external DVD is extremely simple, and legal. I strongly recommend it.

PS. BTW, regarding physical copies, I, too believe that physical copies SHOULD be provided by apple at least for a small fee. Or at least make the digital installer to copy itself to an external dvd with the press of a button, so that you can keep a physical copy for any situation. I always keep physical copies of my OSes in an external DVD and they always come in handy in difficult situations, especially if you use Linux and Windows where sometimes the "Restore" partition gets deleted (With linux). It's nice to not rely on your computer solely for a restore.

Last edited:

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Lotta apologists here.

And the rationale is sort of interesting. "You should have known (eg read my astute posts here on MacRumors) and made a back up copy on USB stick...etc."

But to be fair to the Mac Fans all the mags gave the same advice.

So before the update even hits the store the consensus is you need to do a work-around because of a deficiency in Apple's system software delivery system.

And then jump on the OP because she fell for the Apple line and didn't make a copy.

If the App Store and L/ML upgrade system were ready for prime time this wouldn't happen. You pay three times more for a MBP than a PC and you should expect to be able to recover from a drive crash using something besides the damaged drive. Apple had to spend how much time repairing this? When the user probably could have accomplished it themselves?

Sorry, but the OP has a very valid point (although they need help in authoring post titles).

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Two weeks ago I bought a copy of Mountain Lion. It refused to install on my Macbook Pro because it conflicted with Lion. My computer got caught into a conflict loop and refused to start. I ran it a couple of times but it kept timing out, then it caused bad sectors in my Hard Drive.

I took it to the Apple Store, the "Genius'" fixed my Hard drive, but that was it. I took it home and formatted the Hard Drive, still the same issue. Found a copy of Snow Leopard and that isn't even compatible with my Macbook. WTF??????

All of this wouldn't be so frustrating if they actually sold physical copies of their ***** OPERATING SYSTEM! HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, Apple and their Digital Only BS. How am I supposed to download your software when it ONLY runs on YOUR computers and it was YOUR software that f'ed my machine in the first place?

My only option now is to go back to the stupid Genius Bar - nearest Apple Stores are an HOUR from my house in either direction! Drop it off and hope they'll install the stupid operating system for free. All of this because Apple is run by a bunch of *******s who think they know what's best instead of giving customers a choice. I'm NEVER buying another Apple product, even though technically I need it for work.

Aren't there almost literally hundreds of websites that tell you how to create a bootable USB drive for Lion or ML?
One should always have a hard copy just in case of such a situation.

Also if you've had Lion or ML installed you can hold down option after the chime, choose the recovery option and re-install without a physical copy os the OS over the internet since you are on the forums I am guessing you have access somehow.

Hope you had a backup of everything, I know they sell external hard drives in the Apple store.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Lotta apologists here.

And the rationale is sort of interesting. "You should have known (eg read my astute posts here on MacRumors) and made a back up copy on USB stick...etc."

Huh? errr No. It doesn't make a lot of sense to complain about the lack of a physical copy when it takes 10 minutes to make your own physical copy, is extremely easy to do and the internet is overflowing with guides on how to do it (and why you should do it). Can you grasp this concept?

----------

So before the update even hits the store the consensus is you need to do a work-around because of a deficiency in Apple's system software delivery system.

It's called being prudent. Though by the sounds of it you're another user who bumbles into .0 releases without doing anything proactive to mitigate any issues which might arise.

You pay three times more for a MBP than a PC

Three times more than a comparable PC? Sorry, but that's utter rubbish.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Lotta apologists here.

But to be fair to the Mac Fans all the mags gave the same advice.

And then jump on the OP because she fell for the Apple line and didn't make a copy.

If the App Store and L/ML upgrade system were ready for prime time this wouldn't happen. You pay three times more for a MBP than a PC and you should expect to be able to recover from a drive crash using something besides the damaged drive. Apple had to spend how much time repairing this? When the user probably could have accomplished it themselves?

Sorry, but the OP has a very valid point (although they need help in authoring post titles).

She only has a valid point if you assume it's okay to do things blindly and trust the whole world will hold your hand. If you buy a bike, fall and hit your head when riding it - would you say it's a valid point to blame the bike salesman because he didn't sold her training wheels and a helmet as well?

And by the way, my MBP 13" was by far the cheapest comparable laptop on the market - that's why I bought it.

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
So.. i should somehow get a refund, because YOU had an issue?

i've had ZERO problems what so ever. runs better than when it was new (2011 model)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.