Stay protected in Mac OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by diegobgr, Dec 22, 2010.

1. diegobgr macrumors 6502

Hi.

Well, I come from Windows, so I used to be worry about viruses and malware.

Now, Mac OS.

Should I do anything to stay protected? My no.1 rule is Common Sense.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Rule #1 covered it all
    No need for anything else

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

As long as your number 1 rule is common sense then you have NO need for antivirus/antimalware on the Mac OS. Of course, I guess the same could be said of Windows, but it is even more true of Mac.

EDIT: IF you share files with a Windows computer, an on-demand virus scanner is handy, just to prevent copying a file that might infect your Windows computer.

4. diegobgr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your replies ;)

Well, I share files with Windows, but both Windows computers are protected with antivirus, antimalware...and I usually full scan them once a month.

5. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

If you follow tech news (probably since you're using this forum?) you'll know about any real Mac malware threat which actually comes along. Through the entire history of OS X you pretty much had to be doing some pretty reckless things to have encountered malware and let it cause trouble. I guess the only advice I would have for someone is to be a little extra cautious if they pirate software.

A passive anti-virus scanner (there are free options) is nice if you want to scan documents before sending them over to Windows. Unless you had a good reason, I wouldn't infect your Mac with a 'real' anti-virus program (like Norton)—the slowdowns and problems just aren't worth it.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No need on a Mac: Mac Virus/Malware Info