Stay with ACD 30" or buy ACD 27"?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 3587, Sep 26, 2010.

1. 3587 macrumors 6502a

I am thinking of selling my 30" and two ACD 20" and getting the all new 27". I really enjoy the glossy iPhone and the glossy MacBook Pro screens... I'm usually in front of the computer with low room lighting and a window shade... So I don't see the glossy as having an impact on me...

What I really want to know is this... Is the text on the screen sharper? Colors? I know it is a smaller screen, but I've been reading that the 27" has more pixels per square inch? I also like the idea of the mic and camera... I have my own speakers...

I also like the instant on and the brightness... I may just have to go to the store to check it out, but they have so many lights on in the store that it isn't a realistic setting...

Thoughts?

2. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also, does anyone know the length of the ACD 30" power cable? Need to compare to the 48" on the ACD 27".

3. w00tini macrumors 6502a

hi
    the 27" is much sharper than the 30", and as you stated the LED is mighty quick at firing up. I have the 27" at home and just happen to be in the apple store right now considering a second unit. the 30" is right next to the 27" and I can say without a doubt that the 30" looks it's age.

4. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great answer! I'm calling around now... Thanks :)

5. w00tini macrumors 6502a

6. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is that shorter than the one on the 30"? If so, by how much?

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The power cables are about the same you just don't have the power brick on the new displays.

And the 48" cable you refer to is the 3 in 1 cable with USB, MiniDisplay Port and MagSafe all in one.

8. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'm hooking it up to the same Mac Pro... The monitor is on the desk and the Mac Pro is beside it on the floor... Just need to make sure I don't need to purchase an extension...

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

I wouldn't bother. You'll just get lower resolution, smaller pixels and a LED backlight, nothing to really write home about. At 2560x1600 and 30" I feel that text is already quite small on OSX and since OSX isn't resolution independent, you might find the 27" has too small text.

10. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Some people like the higher pixel density. It's not that much smaller anyway to be honest, but people who had problems reading small text should avoid because it's definitely harder to read than on a 30 inch. Never ran in to anyone in real life with an iMac 27 that complained about the text being harder to read, even people who I thought would have issues (older ones with bad eyes). It seems like a small group of people have issues with it, and really those people are going to have issues with any display and reading text, so they will know to avoid it.

11. ventro macrumors 6502a

I'm switching. Heres' my rationale:

- Higher pixel density
    - No more graininess. The 30" has a terrible anti glare coating that makes all light colors look extremely grainy, as if a noise filter was applied on it. No more with glossy!
    - Ambient light sensor so my monitor automatically turns up the brightness when its super sunny out and turns it down in the night. Seems like a small thing but I have always wanted it.
    - Speakers/iSight
    - I don't need as much vertical height. My windows always end up being too tall anyway. I don't have to crane my neck up to see the title bar.
    - Better for movies/games! You don't need to render as many pixels but you still get a wide, panoramic view.

12. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I don't care how small it is... I care about how sharp it is... My 30" appears to be blurred... If you're in a Pages document and you zoom in on a word, which monitor is sharper, crisper, clearer? That's what I'm looking for... Nice and bright as well... The 30" just looks old...

13. w00tini macrumors 6502a

no question, the 27 is much sharper. take one home and see for yourself. if you dont like it, return it. pretty simple :)

14. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I'll do just that! Now I need to sell my 30"! Thanks again.