Stay with iMac or get a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by upsguy27, Aug 27, 2009.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, right now I have an iMac with the specs in my sig. However, I have the option to trade it for a MacBook Pro (Late 2008 model) with the following specs: 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 9600M GT 512 MB. My question is, should I do it? There's really no need to (or not need not to), but I'd kind of like to have a laptop just for that portability and (this sounds weird) I'd kind of like to make a change in the way that my computer looks.

Is the 9600GT comparable to the 8800GS in my iMac? I know the 8800GS is better than the 9600GT, but by how much? Would I notice much of a difference in playing games? Also, I'm worried about downgrading from a 24" screen to a 15" one. I like all the screen real estate I have right now, but then again I might buy an external monitor for the MBP. Should I switch?

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Well, what games do you play on the imac? If they are running well on your iMac, it should run fine native res on the MBP. I would suggest getting the MacBook pro only if u rly rly need the portability.

3. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

The only really graphics-intensive game I play is GTA IV. I don't really need the portability, it'd just be nice.

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

What games are you playing in particular, you can probably play modern games at med settings and older games at high.

5. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

GTA IV, NFS: Undercover, GRiD, DiRT 2 (When it comes out). Those are the most modern ones that I'm not sure about.

6. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

7. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, thanks.

Now that I've determined that the 9600GT will be okay, does anyone think I should actually do the trade? I'll quote my original post:

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Personally, I would stick with the iMac. The iMac has a much stronger processor, more screen real estate and a faster Hard Drive. Given that you don't really need portability, I don't think it's worth it. Also, the battery doesn't last very long when playing games so that's something to consider unless you plan on using it like a desktop replacement?

9. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

if you dont need the portability or bling factor, don't... if you would like the portability and use it then do [​IMG] i would if it was me

10. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I had to swap my 24 iMac for a MBP as I really needed the portabillity and my iBook wasn´t up to the task anymore.
    I really miss the screen, My iMac was almost 2 years older, but it felt faster than my MBP. I´ve been told that´s due to the desk top hard drive that it has.

The MBP does everything I need though (I don´t play games).
    I use it for editing a lot and except loong render times it does hold up quite well.

11. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Another factor is as the processor in any laptop has less room and stricter cooling, it is more reluctant to clock itself up to full speed, whereas the iMac can pretty much stay at high speeds constantly.

12. snakesqzns macrumors regular

snakesqzns

I don't know... Our 20" Intel iMac always feels hotter than my 2008 MBP.

13. parakiet macrumors regular

you already have a (old) mobile solution.

do you need mobile power? if not, keep the imac :)

14. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

So, the general consensus here seems to be to stay with the iMac. Anyone else?

15. macbanda macrumors member

Since you and I appear to be living parallel lives, it think the IMac seems like the most logical reason given price and the fact that portability is not an issue. Still, I would love to hear any other opinions.

16. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Unless you've got a nice external monitor, I have a feeling you'd miss the iMac's display. If you've got a Powerbook G4 thats in good condition, then just stick with the iMac.

17. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

You don't need the portability. Why would you trade your beautiful desktop for an inferior laptop?