Stay with Lion or upgrade to Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Da321123niel, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Da321123niel macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I've gotten a free version of Mountain Lion but im not sure if to upgrade from Lion. Is this a no-brainer? and how much space will i lose from the ssd?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No brainer, go with it, and I don't believe it will occupy too much more space on your drive

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yep, no brainer
    You would have to have a very specific reason not to upgrade

It is very easy and painless

4. bcgullett macrumors newbie

bcgullett

Mountain Lion. Lion was minimal at best in my opinion when it was released, regarding the changes it brought forward, but so far Mountain Lion has been a worth while choice for me.

5. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

aaaand... you'll probably need ML installed for next year's upgrade to <OS X 9>

6. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Just be aware that there is still software out there that is not really behaving perfectly with Mountain Lion... worth mentioning is Skype ( scrolling can mess up the entire Skype window / text and render all kind of weird artifacts ). There are also some minor problems in Safari when deleting characters from input fields and such.

Overall, go for the upgrade, just know that you might run into some problems down the road ( eventually people will fix them, but for the moment, things are still buggy ).

7. magbarn macrumors 68000

Do it, ML is much smoother than lion on my 2011 air. As I've said before lion is like osx's vista, slower and a memory hog compared to its predecessor.

8. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

If you area already in Lion, then dfently upgrade to Mountain Lion

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I will upgrade, but not until at least 10.8.1 or 10.8.2 - that gives them time to work out the inevitable first exposure/release bugs.

10. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

Don't upgrade straight away, wait for 10.8.1 or 10.8.2. Hopefully problems like the battery drain issue will be sorted by then.

11. chiefc macrumors newbie

Careful, Mountain Lion 10.8 is Buggy!

Think twice. Its been buggy as heck for me. I'm running it on a Macbook 2.3 Ghz so maybe my machine is a couple of generations too old but everything since I switched takes so much longer to do. So long in fact that I'm posting for the first time on any forum.

Safari is slow, Firefox jams up, booting and rebooting takes THREE times as long. Mail even jams up. I was running 10.6 before and I'm thinking about a reverting until they get this fixed.

12. stchman macrumors 6502a

Lion works great on my 2012 MBA.

I keep hearing everyone keep yapping that we all should run Mountain Lion.

I looked at ML's list of new features and almost all of them appear to deal with iCloud and better integration with iDevices.

Since I don't use iCloud, and have no iDevices, the upgrade would not yield me any results.

IMO, if Lion works and you have no need for iDevice integration, ML seems un-needed.

13. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Not to mention the battery issues you may experience in ML.

14. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Definitely upgrade to ML. Also, if I remember correctly, you only get 30 days to use your promo code for a free copy of ML.

15. stchman macrumors 6502a

Then do the following:

- download the ML installer
    - don't install ML
    - burn the installer to a data DVD(it fits)

16. Nychot macrumors 6502a

agreed!

17. asting macrumors 6502

They already have the dev version released of 10.8.1, and I think the public release is not too far off.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

Since it's free, I'd at least get the upgrade code, in case you change your mind. You just need to redeem the code. You don't have to install Mountain Lion or even download it right away. You have only until the later of August 24th or 30 days after you bought your MacBook Air to cash in the upgrade.

Note that ML will also be kept up to date a year longer than Lion. In general, it also brought some stability fixes and other changes under the hood.

19. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I also agree that you should get it and keep it handy for when you are ready to upgrade.

I've just placed mine on my Time Machine - I got the 64 GB so space is tight.