Stay with my mac mini or buy a new mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kyddil, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Kyddil macrumors newbie

Im in a dilemma and I don't know what to do.. maybe u guys can help me!

Right now I have a Mac Mini (3,1).. the one with c2d 2.26ghz, 2gb ram.. I'm a photoshopper and I use logic and right now i have a hard time with photoshop when I have to work with big PSD files.. I have the same problem with Logic, I need to close all working apps so i can start Logic and work with it.. and even then it gives me a memory/cpu error..

I know this problem is because of the 2gb ram.. and i should upgrade it.. but maybe the mac mini isnt build for doing photoshop stuff and logic stuff.. so would the ram upgrade really help?

I mean I was looking at the new imac (27 inch i5) but they are so expensive.. and right now I'm saving the money to get one..

What would u guys do if u were me.. upgrade the ram and save further for the new imac (next year).. or?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Upgrade the RAM. It's relatively inexpensive, and you will be amazed at the difference that makes.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

RAM is only 70 bucks so definitely get that. It shouldn't take you long to gather 70 bucks more for the iMac.

4. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

I'd stay with the mini.

With the mini, you have a choice of monitor display which you can change later.

Get one or two 4 GB sticks from OWC.....bringing the total to either 5 or 8 GB.

While you are at it, get a Sandforce based SSD hard drive from Newegg. (The Adata one is nice and cheap, and works well.) I know, because I'm using one in my notebook.

Either ditch the optical drive or house the original hard drive in an external...

5. Kyddil, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

Kyddil thread starter macrumors newbie

So u guys are saying.. make it 5gb ram (by buying 1 4gb stick) and you wont need the imac right now? I mean SSD's are expensive tho...

EDIT:

I was looking around and yeah.. 1x 4gb ram (what makes a total of 5gb) and 1x 64GB ssd (sandforce) drive isnt that expensive!

Would this be a better option than buying 2x 4gb ram (total of 8gb) but with my normal mac hd?

6. jmazzamj macrumors regular

kyddil, an SSD will make your little mini really fly...believe me.

Just give a look at how zippy a new MBA with SSD drive is...

7. Kyddil thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow! Okay! Good to know!

8. Kyddil thread starter macrumors newbie

Im on the website of OWC and i saw that the 8gb upgrade of NuRAM is 125 bucks... which is cheaper than the OWC memory.. thats 145.. Should I go with the NuRAM? I don't know that brand.. on the other hand I never used OWC memory.. i always bought Corsair ram till now...

With the SSD drive I'm thinking between

the Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233124

&

A-Data: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211485

I know "durruti" said A-DATA is good enough but I don't know that brand thats why im asking hehe

Thanks!