iPad Pro Staying behind the curve...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jodiuh, May 18, 2017.

?

Return iPad & wait?

1. Live now, life moves on, enjoy what you have and eat pizza.

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. New tech! Who needs food?

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I like tomatoes!

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I like toematoes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jodiuh macrumors 6502

So, I suppose the posts a little selfish, but I'm hoping it can get some attention as I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on this topic.

This community seems refreshingly honest with a wide range of opinions and "tips" for a new iPad owner like myself.

With that said. Today's the last day to return a Pro 9.7" 128GB and I'm considering keeping it and practicing a little acceptance in this day of "something new around the corner."

If a new model with the Fusion does release shortly, there may be a chance it could have longer "iOS" legs. It may very well not have an uneven color temp like the current Pro or perhaps some must have feature.

Wise to return?

But what did I do before portable electronic images became a thing?

I feel like "losing out on the new hotness" might offer up a chance to learn to live with something less desirable...ultimately leading to a more transparently calm tech creep tolerance.

Anyway, cheers. :)

2. DNichter macrumors 601

DNichter

Personally, I would return and wait to see what they do in a couple weeks. You could always go get it again (potentially for a discount) at that time.

3. Dentifrice macrumors 6502

if you plan keeping the same ipad size, I would keep it.

If a 10.5'' may interested you, I would return it (and buy another one if there is no 10.5)

4. Tapiture macrumors 6502a

Depends how much you paid for it. I got my 9.7 IPP for 450 with the target sale in February and I have no plans on trying to sell it to get this new iPad 10.5. It's likely going to be more expensive than the current 9.7 and it'll have micro-bezels but it won't be edgeless or have OLED. Since I bought this 9.7 for so little, I figure I can splurge more next year when the iPad updates are more revolutionary.

Also it's only a .8th of an inch larger of a screen. Find a ruler and look at how little .8 of an inch is.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Good point about what the price point was when paid. If it were me, I would probably return it. If nothing comes from WWDC, then I would repurchase the iPad.

If I see to retain the Pro currently and this new 10.5 iPad offered some features I wanted, I would regret not making the return.

It's just a safe bet for the time being. And perhaps 9.7 Pro could be found at a lower price if this new 10.5 iPad launches.

6. Jodiuh, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017

Jodiuh thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up paying $372 after taxes for the 128GB 9.7" Pro w/ 2yr AppleCare+ after multiple screw ups on Best Buy's part. Apple rep @ the store said Merry Christmas when I spoke to the store.

Sure it's a great deal, but even he found the cold/bright to warm/dim when reading in portrait on lighter colored backgrounds jarring.

Because of the way the transaction processed, I'd get back $570 if I return it.

In the end, I feel like a got a great price on a device with a flawed screen that will teach me to be a more tolerant, less critical man with a clear conscience.

Worse comes to worse, I could accidentally trip and let the tablet frisbee into a Best Buy window in 1 year, 11 months, and 15 days...probably film it @ 8K @ 240FPS on a just released 6.5" iPhone TEN with tRuLED iBezel display($1500 base model)...charger sold separate($100 wireless only). :)

As for regrets, I'm learning to let them fall off, away, and notice later in a sort of, "Oh yeah, I guess I could have gone a different route." with no judgement attached.

7. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

8. off_piste macrumors 6502a

That "little" .8 of an inch results in a screen that's 17.3% larger than the 9.7" model.

52.96 sq in

45.16 sq in

9. Tapiture macrumors 6502a

On one hand I think it's a tiny difference but on another hand I think that they're keeping the 9.7 size in addition to the new 10.5 size.

10. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Return it. The 9.7" Pro reminded me of the iPad 3, that it is gimped from the start due to the lesser amount of RAM available. That on its own might affect its longevity amongst the Pro lineup. It's as if Apple designed it to be an iPad Air 3, and just decided to add the Pro monicker.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

If it was really like the iPad 3 it would have been totally replaced just 8 months after it's debut.

12. Jodiuh thread starter macrumors 6502

I mix them with blueberries in a bowl with peanuts for a snack. :)

But only those little super tasty ones that come in a yellow cup.

I ended up keeping the iPad. It serves it purpose more than I'd expected and should keep me going for at least a couple of years. I grabbed the Smart Keyboard and silicon cover as well. Together they may not replace a laptop, but ther s a consider amount of offloading from the phone, the computer, the laptop, etc that it justifies a purpose.