Staying in suburbs vs downtown Seattle

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Feb 7, 2016.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Seattle with the family. We are going to rent a car, for a possible side trip up to Vancouver and to visit other places beyond the reach of public transportation. That being said, if we are going to have a car, is there any good reason to stay at a hotel in Downtown Seattle? Hotels in the city center are roughly $300/night plus parking, while hotels in the burbs are $200/night with free parking, that adds up to a lot for 2 rooms over 5 days. Specifically looking at a couple in Kirkland, Bellevue and North Seattle. Is there really any good reason to stay downtown? What would my expected drive times be from the hotel to the city, or vice versa, during the worst traffic?

2. ruck macrumors member

ruck

You'll probably like being downtown to be within walking distance or a short ride from the food, drink and entertainment down there, if that's why you plan on visiting. If you have plans elsewhere than it might be worth it to stay outside DT.

Where in North Seattle would you stay? Northgate? Shoreline? From there could take up to 45 mins to get downtown in the evening. Before noon is pretty quick since the express lanes are going south then.

Bellevue and Kirkland will require a toll to cross the 520 bridge to/from Seattle, which can be as much as $4-5, unless you drive farther south to the I-90 bridge, but that would significantly extend the drive during peak times.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can you rent a 2-3 bedroom apartment, townhouse, or house somewhere for $400 per night?

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Pretty much this. Personally I'm more of a fan of Bellevue over Seattle. It's just a 10 minute drive on 90 to get to Seattle. Assuming you're doing the touristy stuff and visiting pikes place market during the week and day time would be a good time to go. I work in south lake Union. We can meet and have adult beverages while talking PRSI. o_O