Staying off the web for security reasons?

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Does anyone deliberately NOT use any web browser on iOS or other mobile device for security reasons?

I've read about a lot of malware that can spread via bad web page code that exploits browser holes, and sometimes these are zero-day exploits. I've often seen that websites become malware through 3rd party advertisements that were taken over. Lack of Adobe Flash support in iOS and Sandboxing mitigates the risk, by eliminating one attack vector and containing damage/access to other software.

I've been using mostly apps to access Internet-based services. I only use web pages when absolutely necessary. Am I being paranoid?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I think you are being a bit paranoid. The iPad downloads the Safari safe browser package just for the reasons you described. If you want to play it safe just turn off JavaScript.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Does anyone deliberately NOT use any web browser on iOS or other mobile device for security reasons?

I've read about a lot of malware that can spread via bad web page code that exploits browser holes, and sometimes these are zero-day exploits. I've often seen that websites become malware through 3rd party advertisements that were taken over. Lack of Adobe Flash support in iOS and Sandboxing mitigates the risk, by eliminating one attack vector and containing damage/access to other software.

I've been using mostly apps to access Internet-based services. I only use web pages when absolutely necessary. Am I being paranoid?
You are being paranoid

I use my iphone as my browser all time, I've never had any problems and I've been using iphones for 5 years

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I don't think you're being paranoid, it's an intelligent question.

There's a certain risk no matter how one accesses the web. No matter the smartphone, tablet, or computer. Apples perpetuated a myth that it's impossible to get infected if using a Mac, and they've gotten away with it for some time. But now that PC sales have slowed Macs are a bigger target and there's lots of dialog in the blogosphere about using protective software.

At the end of the day it's "big data" companies that already have a massive amount of our info, that's their business. I'd just practice wise common sense computing and use encryption wherever possible.

As far as mobile devices I avoid banking and anything sensitive, everything else is fine. Profiling to serve us advertisements like Google does is nothing I am concerned with.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

What you are talking about simply doesn't apply to iOS given its design, therefore nothing to really worry about. That's not to say just be ignorant, but it is to say not to really worry about it much, and especially to that degree.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
While those who think iOS is airtight are being naive, in practice there's little to worry about. If you're that concerned, just add known good news, weather, tv-guide, financial, encyclopedia etc sites to your bookmarks and stick to them.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
You are being paranoid

I use my iphone as my browser all time, I've never had any problems and I've been using iphones for 5 years
Ah, don't you worry. See, when s*** happens, you come to know about it instantly. ;)

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

Guess you will never post here again, since this site is on the web. Have a nice life OP :D

PS: We hear get this type of Tin Foil Hat questions every few months

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012

Yes, you are being paranoid and you are letting fear control you. Just use common sense when you are on the web or using email and you should be fine.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Ok, I'm not going to worry about this anymore. I just wanted to get some opinions.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Just be vigilant. I am careful about what I share on the web and I assume that it can always be intercepted by crooks and/or governments and/or crooked governments.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Yes, you are being paranoid and you are letting fear control you. Just use common sense when you are on the web or using email and you should be fine.

What's the line between prudence based on information and paranoia though? Web browsers (on any platform) often have exploits that can be used via drive-by-download, as illustrated by Pwn2Own contests over the years.

Just be vigilant. I am careful about what I share on the web and I assume that it can always be intercepted by crooks and/or governments and/or crooked governments.

Good points. I never click on weird links in emails either.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
I always use private browsing if I'm doing anything important, like if I'm on Bank Of America or filing my taxes, but other than that, no.

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
What's the line between prudence based on information and paranoia though? Web browsers (on any platform) often have exploits that can be used via drive-by-download, as illustrated by Pwn2Own contests over the years.

Good points. I never click on weird links in emails either.
Again it's using common sense. Here is an example:

Some folks will never have sex again because they are worried about catching an STD. They are letting fear control them. Others will use common sense and will still indulge themselves in a manner that is safer for them. Condom and being selective on who they are with comes to mind.

Surfing the web can be dangerous if you like going to questionable sites and clicking on any and everything. So you have to ask yourself, do you go to questionable sites? Are there really only a handful of sites that you go to for information? If so, do you trust those sites and have you had issues with them before? Do you jailbreak your iPhone and install Apps not vetted by Apple?
For banking and things like that, do you have an official bank app installed?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Read this: http://images.apple.com/ipad/business/docs/iOS_Security_Feb14.pdf

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
When you use an App, it still accesses the internet. It doesn't matter if you're using Safari or Tapatalk, if its going to be hacked, any app can be hacked.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
NOTHING is perfectly safe. You weigh the probability of problems, and then do what seems right for you.

For me, the benefits of using the web far exceeds the perceived risks.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
NOTHING is perfectly safe. You weigh the probability of problems, and then do what seems right for you.

For me, the risk of using the web far exceeds the perceived risks.
Im guessing that was meant to say that the benefits outweigh the (potential/perceived) risks.

penplotter

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014

Well you can't have been that worried, evidently ;)

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Well you can't have been that worried, evidently ;)

More curious than worried really. I use web pages for some things. For example: if I'm going to a restaurant I haven't visited before, and if i want to look at the menu beforehand. Some cities don't have public transit apps, so I use the web to get schedules when I'm traveling.

I generally use apps first and web pages only if I can't get the info from an app.