Staying UN-Jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Zord, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Zord macrumors 6502

Zord

Ok let me begin by saying that I have had 3 iPhones at this point. The Original, a 3G and now the iPhone 4.

I have Jailbroken all 3 and the one that lasted the longest was the 3G, but in the end I just couldn't keep them JB'd. Although i really enjoyed a lot of the tweeks and themes. And i really learned a lot through this process like ( SSH, Web Clips, PSD etc.

Its hard for me to put into words but I really just like the iPhone "Stock" so to speak. I like that it just works no matter what. Its not laggy, buggy and the battery last much longer.

And i also like that when Apple releases a new update I can just download it that day. . . . NO Waiting for the next JB.

But the hardest thing to me, is that when I see some of the Homescreens and Lockscreens posted on here I'm feeling the "tug" of the darkside. :)

But i still haven't fully committed in leaving my iPhone 4 JB'd for more than 24 hours.

Am I weird? Am I alone??

Anyone else feel this way?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I jailbraked my original iPhone back in 2007 because it was new and different, but 3 years later I am so bored with the thought of jailbreaking, especially not my iPhone 4 (not now though)

I agree with you, I like being able to update my OS the day Apple releases new updates and not have to wait for the Jailbreak team to catch up (I got bored with the cat and mouse game that Apple and the Dev Team play long time ago). I like how fast my iPhone is when its not jailbroken, and even though I found some cool themes and tweaks, it wasn't worth the hassle. I also like the stock Home Screen.

1 thing I don't like about the current iPhone OS is that I can't customize the MMS tones. I like the stock tones, but not when all of my family gets together and we all have iPhones, one person gets a new text message and we all reach for our phone because we all have the same tone set. But this doesn't give me enough reason to want to jailbreak now.

3. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

I don't tether, I think themes are annoying, and there's really only like 5 apps I use so I'll rather keep it stock

4. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I've have the three phones you've mentioned. I jailbroke the 3G after a year of having it in stock form. As much as I enjoyed the new found freedom, and after a year of use, I reverted it back to stock because of lag. Even without winterboard installed I didn't like how slow things got.

With the iPhone 4 those problems are a thing of the past. I can't perceive any lag, visual transitions are smooth and everything works as it did pre-JB. Without opening applications my RAM is usually around 330 MB or just a little under. If my 3G had 30+ MB of RAM available I was happy. It's totally different.

I don't think you're weird for liking what you like. There's no harm either way so do what you feel is best.

5. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I must admit that I returned to stock and I like it way better. I miss the wifi tethering the most and really liked showing off the what the phone could do with the video wallpapers and such. The speed is definitely back with the stock firmware and won't be jailbreak again until there is a more "matured" way to do it. I have to say thanks to all the people in the jailbreak community because I honestly haven't contributed anything and they pull off some cool stuff with these phones!

6. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

With no need to tether my chances of jailbreaking are slim.

I jailbroke my 3G for Cycorder, but when the 3GS came out I was left without reason again.

Blonde Buddhist

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I had mine jailbroken for a couple of days before I restored the phone.

It was lagging quite a bit and the battery was a big issue for me. I only really used sbsettings,
    Winterboard and bitesms so I haven't really missed it tbh.

8. jsgreen macrumors 6502

+1 Same experience here...hardware upgrade of iPhone 4 makes being jail broken just fine...I'm not big on themes, but having a few incremental improvements (LockInfo, MyWi, FaceTime over 3G, Netflix playing on iPhone) makes it worthwhile to forgo the immediate OS updates.

9. chanerz macrumors 6502a

my 3gs was jailbroken but ill pass for my ip4.

10. SoraLimit macrumors regular

I admit, I used to jailbreak for the cracked apps, but I saw the error of my ways and actually bought the Apps. With that out of the way, the only main reason why I jailbreak was to enable multitasking, and SBsettings.

I've tried theming, but I always end up going back to the stock theme.

I can essentially go and update if I wanted, because I don't really have a need for a jailbreak anymore. I can live without SBsettings (however, habits die hard, because I keep swiping the top bar. :p) and multitasking.

11. asr10 user macrumors regular

I knew when I got the IP4 I wouldnt JB it, and after a month and $70 on apps, I still wont JB it. And ive modded EVERYTHING ive ever touched. My phone is something I use far too much to be worrying about reliability and stability.

I really would like to tether and maybe some privacy apps. But I really like not thinking about problems. (lockdown almost made me JB, but I figured out I can do the same thing I want with Google Voice)

I'm 26 years old, im not 16 anymore and dont have the time to be messing with things and applying workarounds to stuff that should work.

12. Ann P macrumors 68020

My 3G and 3GS were both jailbroken and hacked. I am keeping my 4 non-jailbroken and stock, however.

13. StoicJester macrumors newbie

I do miss being able to play NES roms with horrible touch controls.

14. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Can we just get it out that the actual act of jailbreaking itself does not affect your battery life? It's the stuff you install post-jailbreak that hurts battery life. Just saying.

15. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

That's correct.

My phone has

biteSMS - Reply to text messages without having to unlock phone, compose from anywhere and in any app, schedule text delivery, delay sending message and more. The most recent beta has the ability to assign a different sms tone for individual contacts.
    GV Mobile+ - Google Voice for the iPhone. Great for having a second number.
    PriviCy - Global opt-out of usage tracking. Some apps ask you if you want to opt out now, but I feel it's worth having just in case.
    SBSettings/Activator - Quickly activate/deactivate settings, active tasks by using screen gestures and more.
    SnapTap - Take photos with Apple's camera app and 3rd party apps.

Aside from those I've customized my lockscreen to my liking, got rid of the wallpaper gradient that darkens all wallpaper images and tweaked a few other things here and there.

The battery is nearly the same and nothing has slowed down. Winterboard is a resource hog so I do my visual changes through SSH. If it can't be done that way I just don't bother.

16. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

This is me in a nutshell!! You hit the nail on the head. . . . Looks as if i'm definitely not alone here. :)

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My phones have always been stock. They do 99% of the things I want them to do, so I don't really have a need to jailbreak.

18. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i've jailbroken my 2G and 3G because i loved the extra features (winterboard wallpapers, backgrounder, cycorder)

iOS 4 has these features now and i really can't be bothered to jailbreak, actually

the only thing i miss is Lockinfo, really

19. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I'm not going to lie, I have had some jb make the phone unstable (caugh*blackra1n*caugh) but jailbreakme.com is very much stable and has had NO adverse effects to my device.

P.S. iOS 4.0 is itself a buggy OS, more so on the 3GS then the iP4.

20. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

I will always jailbreak.

They day they completely disable jailbreaking is the day I move on to a new phone.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

what ever floats your boat you like stock Apple firmware I like the freedom of choice jailbreaking provides. See we can both that what we want.

22. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

until iOS allows you to reply to texts from anywhere, including the lockscreen, I will continue to jailbreak.

23. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

If there was a way to get rid of the "Accessory Connected" message when my iPhone 4 is plugged into my car radio then I wouldn't jailbreak.