Staying with 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfpackfan, Jun 23, 2010.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

At the risk of being flamed, I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there that has a 3G and is considering not upgrading to the 4? I am eligible to upgrade but the more I've thought about it, I've just about decided to stay with my 3G. In the past, whenever a new iPhone came out, I upgraded as soon as I was eligible and I've owned all previous models except the 3GS. But my 3G is basically doing everything I want it to and I'm having a hard time coming up with a real reason to upgrade. I think part of my lack of enthusiasm is I also own an iPad, so a lot of what I previously did on my iPhones, I now do on my iPad. About the only feature I really was excited about was the improved camera, but I've about decided to just go out and buy a new digital camera instead. It will be nice to be contract free. It has been a long time since this has happened. When the other two phones on my family plan are out of contract, I will probably switch us to another carrier besides AT&T. Our service has been terrible (we literally can not make a call inside our home) and I will probably switch us back to Sprint. This would occur next January.

Anyone else considering just staying with the 3G even though you're eligible to upgrade?

2. lawrence32 macrumors member

I'm not upgrading right now. I like my 3g, I might think about it in a few months after all the bugs are worked out. I need a working phone not a paper weight.

3. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Can't make a call in your house on AT&T- run don't walk to another carrier- you can get out of your contract at no charge if they run a signal test. Get a Sprint EVO, or Verizon Droid X !!

4. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I can totally understand sticking with the 3GS, but the 3G? god its so slow compared to the newer phones i simply couldn't continue to keep it.

I have a 3GS now from 2009.

5. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

6. lawrence32 macrumors member

it is slow, but it gets the job done. i would love to get the ip4 right now, but if I start missing calls again like i did when i first got the 3g my boss would kill me haha.

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

I'm sticking with the 3GS cause AT&T wants to charge me $599 for the 16GB :).

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

I have a 3G and I am sticking with it...at least for a little while. I'm eligible to upgrade and probably will around Christmas....or sooner if my 3G dies. But I have no desperate need to upgrade...even tho the speed boost and extra features will be nice. My phone does everything I need and does it well.

9. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

My 3G's battery is toasted. Plus the phone, overall, is slow. Most of the app store apps are optimized for the 3GS and now will be for the 4. I holded out on the 3GS for this phone, I can't wait to go get mine.

10. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Dumping my 3G like it's hot. Got my i4 yesterday...HUUUUGE improvement.

11. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I upgraded to the iPhone 4, I can't stand using my iPhone 3G anymore. It's like ever since iOS 3.0 came out the 3G has been running like sheit. I cringe at the thought of even using it anymore, because it's so sluggish. I don't think I could put up with it anymore.

Also unlike you the iPad made me want to upgrade. I got so used to the speed of the iPad it made the 3G even worse to use than it was before. Not to mention I've noticed that some apps require the extra RAM and CPU of the newer models to run properly (ever tried playing Guitar Hero on your iPhone 3G?).

Although if it does what you want and you're happy with it, then more power to you.

12. macdim macrumors 6502

This. My battery just isn't what it used to be. Now the girlfriend can deal with it as the 3G is being sent down the line.

Also, after trying laggy multitasking on the 3G, the quick task switching is a much needed feature for busy people.

13. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

14. Centient macrumors 6502

If can't afford justify the cost of a new iPhone, then you'll continue to get by with the 3G. It's still a solid phone. However I'd just stay clear of playing around with any of the i4's if you do so. I just jumped up from the 3G to the i4 and I'm really surprised by how much better the experience is. I didn't expect to be this impressed.

In particular the screen. Just 12 hours ago I thought my 3G looked pretty good. After messing around with the i4 for a bit the 3G looks very dated. Not to mention the responsiveness is just leagues better than the 3G.

15. GNice macrumors 6502

As others have said I can see sticking with a 3GS, but no way I wouldn't upgrade from a 3G. But, hey to each his own and if you are happy that's all that matters.

16. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Actually, I kinda agree with the guy. We love our love our iP4's and 3G's before them, but the guy has a point: If ATT can't get a signal to your house (hey, it happens) then by all means switch to a carrier that better fits your needs. If the device isn't useful, then why have it?

Now on the flip side, ATT has faster data transfers and allows simulatneous voice and data. So if you're lucky enough to live in a good ATT coverage area and your <insert pet smart phone here> and carrier don't cut it, run, don't walk .. blah blah blah ;)

17. navid macrumors newbie

its some how my question too.
    i have iPhone 3G 8GB,and i can just afford an iPad or iP4.(because i want to buy contract free ip4)
    im very confused,should i buy ip4,or stick with my 3G and buy an ipad?:confused::confused::confused:

18. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

why do you want a contract free ip4? wouldn't it be just as cost effective to buy cheaper and if you want to cancel later simply pay the reduced etf? it certainly wont be more expensive than a contract free one.

19. eddiejsmall macrumors member

ATT won't let me upgrade my 3G till late January, is it worth it then?

20. navid macrumors newbie

because i live in Iran,and we dont have iphone with contract in here.
    im about to go to Malaysia if they sell iPhone with contract in there sure i will buy with contract(but i dont know for sure), so i have to assume that i have to buy it without contract :(

21. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I have a 3G but there's no way I'm not upgrading. After playing with a few iPhone 4's it's clear what a drastic update this is. I'm simply waiting for the white model.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this

my 3g was slow as molasses and it was annoying as hell

23. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I'm planning on sticking with my 3G until the iPhone4 issues sort themselves out... I'd like something a bit better than 3:1 odds, especially when I have a perfectly good iPhone now (not to mention I'm waiting on white and there's no way I'm wasting my time standing in a line to wait for one).

I'm even thinking about picking up a Nexus One for a few months, this seems like perfect timing and it would be nice to be able to participate a bit more intelligently in the iOS4 vs. Android discussions.

24. navid macrumors newbie

im still waiting for advices :(

25. tonedef407 macrumors regular

I can't wait to get the iPhone 4. My 3G is maddening to use its so slow.