Staying With A Server Long Term or Switching From Time To Time

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MichaelMidnight, Sep 14, 2008.

1. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

Hey guys! I just have a question regarding the server where a website resides on. Basically I want to know if it's better to stick with one server that you find agreeable with for a long time or switch servers that offer better prices. Does this affect the traffic to a site?

I'm looking for a new server and I've found many sites with deals for the first payment (or year) and I'm wondering what to do after that first year, stick with them using the normal price or switch servers or sign up with my original server again but using a different domain associated with the account.

2. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Why change if you're happy? Unless you are talking about significant savings, then I would stick with the company you are using at the moment because you run the risk there will be trade offs (such as longer wait times on support questions etc). :)

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Agreed, entirely.

You only move if it's a good value to do so and value is more than just price, but speed, bandwidth, uptime, quality of service, billing and space. Switching involves moving code, DNS implications, possible recoding of some server side scripts if paths vary for source binaries, database implications.

The search engine optimization won't be major affected if you keep the same domain name, but all the rest I listed deters most from changing simply because webhost X is 5 dollars cheaper than webhost Y. That's not a value decision, but a budget decision - and if you factor in labor costs and planning even then the $5.00 savings per month might be worthless.

-jim

4. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

True. And you never know what the person did with the IP before you. They could have been a spammer and your IP could be blacklisted.

5. MCRunning macrumors 6502

You could get whitelisted again without any problems if everything checks out.