Stealth Action Game HITMAN Coming to Mac on June 20

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 15, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Feral Interactive has announced that popular stealth action game HITMAN is coming to macOS on June 20. Developed by Io Interative and published by Square Enix on PC and consoles in 2016, the critically acclaimed title is the first truly episodic triple-A game to make the transition over to Mac, according to Feral.

[​IMG]

Within the HITMAN universe, multi-layered levels offer players vast scope for exploration, while the opportunity to employ devious distractions and disguises allows gamers to exploit their surroundings in a typical stealth manner. The PC title has been widely praised by reviewers for its high replay value and chapter variation.
    HITMAN will be available from the Feral Store and Steam as HITMAN - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON, which includes all locations and three bonus missions, and will be priced at $59.99/£39.99/EUR49.99.

HITMAN for macOS will launch with support for AMD graphics cards only. Feral hopes to announce more details regarding support for Nvidia and Intel graphics cards shortly. The complete system requirements will be confirmed on release day. 

Article Link: Stealth Action Game HITMAN Coming to Mac on June 20

2. ysr macrumors member

3. iToph macrumors regular

Come on. We need some graphics rockin‘ games for the new iPad pros. There is so much potential.

4. NBAasDOGG macrumors regular

NBAasDOGG

iPad's use ARM chips, so no chance!!

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Everyone was saying Apple doesn't give a damn about games on the Mac.

In reality Apple was working hard to develop Metal to allow games to run perfect native on the Mac.

Expect this trend to continue.

6. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

I'm very curious as to why this "AMD graphics only" thing exists. Think it's the same with Maffia 3 on the Mac (I guess it's driver related?). Never heard of this "one GPU vendor only" for games on Windows.

7. NBAasDOGG macrumors regular

NBAasDOGG

Mental will always be useless, because game developers don't have time to make games for multiple APIs. They rather stick with Direct X.

8. Chicane-UK macrumors 6502

If I could get Battlefield 4 running on MacOS I'd have no reason to use Windows pretty much.. can only hope this is the start of many AAA titles getting multi-platform releases now.

9. norbornene macrumors newbie

norbornene

Does anyone think that it would install from my Windows Steam copy? It's essentially the same game but I don't want to purchase it twice really...

10. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

They don't have to "make games for multiple API's". They only need to make the underlying engine support the API's and instantly every game built on it will work on the Mac.

And they are already implementing Vulkan so your point is moot...

11. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I mean, the least Apple could have done in the meantime is give us decent graphics hardware in their computers

We didn't exactly need Metal to game on Mac, and chances are Metal doesn't change a thing in terms of hardware requirements, which Macs up until eGPU support have always struggled with

12. honam1021 macrumors regular

I still hope Apple adopted Vulkan instead of working against the rest the industry with another proprietary API

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

After 30 years of not giving a damn, and instead of just going with the industry standard Vulcan which is practically targeting the same area, they make their own proprietary solution. So yeah, they still don't give a damn.

14. Bokito macrumors regular

I don't agree here. Apple didn't update OpenGL support for years and let developers in the cold. Metal is only good enough to run modern games as per 10.12.4. For years developers had to use either aged APIs or drop functionality. Metal and Metal 2 might be a step in the right direction, but the focus for Apple isn't gaming. Both Aspyr and Feral jumped onto the Linux boat as it's easier to port Windows games to Linux nowadays. Feral has some things going again now, but I think all Mac game publishers have been close to dead over the last few years. The hardware isn't helping either.

It might change though. The iMac is no longer stuck with mobile graphics, but is now stocked with desktop graphics. The MacBook Pro's graphics are still underwhelming and Apple chose form over power here. Hopefully the new Mac Pro will include a version with a desktop GPU instead of the way more expensive workstations GPUs they now have. Still there are some struggles. MAS rules still make it pretty hard to bring full functional games to the Mac and it is yet to be seen if Metal 2 is functionally on par with other graphics APIs (OpenGL 4.5/Vulkan/DirectX 12).

15. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

That ship has sailed 30 years ago. If you want to play games as a Mac owner, just get over it and buy a console.

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Will wait on Steam sale, 60USD is a steep price for a PC game.

17. Zarniwoop macrumors 6502a

Metal v.1.1 in OS X 10.11 was hardly DX9/10.1 level graphics API and was kind of a public beta.
    Metal v.1.2 in macOS 10.12 is on par with DX11 functionality, but as it is a low level API like DX12, it should be faster than DX11. This was a first major Metal version for game engines.
    Metal v.2 in macOS 10.13 is focusing on Pro use; eGPU, machine learning and 10bit display. Not much new for game engines. Sure the API is maturing, so less bugs.

18. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

Maybe you can play it @ 1080p if you buy the latest $5k iMac pro!

19. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Awesome, now I can enjoy playing Hitman at 30fps (maybe) at 800x600 with lowest graphic settings!

20. imnotarobot macrumors newbie

Actually most of the big game engines (i.e. Unity and Unreal) already support Metal, which is very easy to support once you have already supported DX and/or OpenGL. It's performance is often better. Also the new iPad Pro 10 (and the 12) already have sufficient performance to match or beat MacBookPros for both GPU and CPU performance. Also in Metal 2 the debugging features are amazing and improving performance is almost point and shoot (it often just tells you what you are doing wrong).

21. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I'd buy it as I've really wanted to get into this series, but looking at the posted Linux specs (couldn't find Mac), it looks like my NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB won't cut it. However, I've got a mid-range 27" 5K iMac on order for work, so maybe I could play it during my lunch breaks since it's episodic.

22. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Yes, it will, there's only been one mac conversion so far that hasn't, black ops.

23. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Desktop GPUs coming to iMac and eGPU support certainly gives hope for the future of Mac gaming.

24. Janichsan macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

As it's a SteamPlay title, you automatically get the Mac version when it's released when you bought it for Windows earlier.

25. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Apple showed that they are now much more interested in Mac graphics at WWDC, both with software and hardware. But of course they haven't done as much as they could have, which is a real shame. But the future of graphics is looking more promising.