Stealth Night Mode?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ARK, Oct 4, 2016.

1. ARK macrumors 6502

So far I'm liking the S2SBSS after trying out the original sport when it first came out (I returned the original).

Anyway, I'm looking for a Watch face that's super simple, dark in color (black and grey) that doesn't emit a lot of light so I can send and receive messages while waiting for my toddler to go to sleep. Anyone have any ideas on how to achieve "stealth night mode"? I can turn off wrist to raise as well. It would be nice to have this feature built in... hear me Apple?

Toddlers that won't go to bed can be fierce! Lol

2. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

Your best bet is the modular face with all the complications turned off and the color set to red or orange and don't forget to lower your brightness all the way down.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

4. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice tips! I didn't think about red and the crown to wake is a great feature! Thank you guys!

5. Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

You made me do it. Turns out I love how discreet this is.

Attached Files:

6. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

7. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Definitely a good face for night and cinema. What ruins it is getting a notification and replying pulls up brightly colored text. This is why Apple needs to implement a dark mode or theme. My biggest complaint about WatchOS is there is no overall theme. Everything is red or blue or green and white text. Example messages is bright red and white. Activities is bright green. So unApple-like.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I see what you mean (pun noted).

You're wrong about "unApple-like". It is Apple-like to have different colors for different tasks and apps. That's been the same way for a long time.

BUT, unlike every other mobile device Apple (or any gadget manufacturer) makes, a smartwatch isn't something you can just put in your pocket or close a lid over.

Having a stealth mode like you describe would be a neat feature. Maybe have a button in Control Center to make it all-red, including changing every notification display to a low-key version. I could dig it.

Have you sent the idea as feedback to Apple yet? Want to send it before I do? ;-)

9. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

I had a guy at work suggest I send it to Apple and I just did. Go ahead and send one too. The more requests we get for this the more likely we are to get it to happen.

In general though I think the dim brightness setting just isn't dim enough. If I can wake the screen up by turning the crown and barely get it light enough to see the screen then there should be away to make the dim setting even more dim. I would love an overarching night dark mode setting the decreases the brightness by a significant margin. Everything red. I understand why they have the different colors for different apps I guess but its just a glaring mishap when my watch shines like a flashlight in a darkly lit room.

10. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

One difficulty -- and this would be for Apple to sort out -- would be to override the presentation of other apps, especially third-party apps.

For example, I also get messages via Slack or KakaoTalk. A night/stealth mode would work best if these messages also displayed in a low-key version (say, just a red version of the app icon and red text, no border or banner). Would it be kosher for Apple to implement a global switch for a different display mode, or would Apple need to require app developers to add it on their own?

The easier version would be to change the Grayscale setting (currently in General -> Accessibility on the Watch app on the phone) to, I guess, "Redscale", and make it accessible via the Control Center screen on the watch.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2016 ---
    Here I was, about to wear one of my nicer regular watches tonight, and now I'm going to wear my AW instead, set to dim grayscale to see (literally) what it's like in a theater setting. :D

11. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Testing with this tonight:

[​IMG]

As it displays in grayscale:

[​IMG]

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Update: Meh. OP, you're right. Even in all-grey, my AW0 at the dimmest setting is still bright enough to stand out.

Try your AW2 in grayscale and see how it goes.

13. eastwoodandy macrumors member

I don't see any reason they can't implement this.

I see this as no different to Night Shift on the iPhone. An overall device setting that shifts the colour palette.

14. Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

Ive been playing with other faces as well, even with a minimalist "numerals" or "simple" face the white hands glow brightly. This red only modular face seems to be the best option. I also submitted a request to Apple.

15. dyn macrumors 68030

People have been asking for Apple to implement a dark mode in OS X and iOS so it seems logical to also want it in watchOS. Out of the 3, watchOS is the one that'll benefit the most of such a mode since you are more likely to be using it like an ordinary watch. If they implement this as an API then any app can benefit from it (something they've also done before).

16. Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

Been running this simple face alot, and coupled with 3.1, Im getting 40 hours out of a charge....And that included 50-60 minutes in workout mode woth continuous HR using the Gymaholic app. I do use messaging as well, and occasionally check the activity app... Really good battery life imo...