Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somnolentsurfer

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
Take the windows frame rate and chop it in half. Then thank Apple for having sucky OpenGL drivers.

(I'm sure it won't be that bad, HL2 and Portal are pretty old. But after SC2's terrible performance it looks like I may not be able to play any new AAA games in OS X.)

Based on what I've seen, it pretty much is that bad. Guess it'll be great for indie titles, and those with more powerful Macs than me, but for the moment my Windows partition will be staying.

256bit

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Ugh. I really do hope that these performance issues are fixed before the official release. Or at all. :(

somnolentsurfer

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
Ugh. I really do hope that these performance issues are fixed before the official release. Or at all. :(

A Valve poster on the Steam forums has responded saying that they will be continuing to tweak performance up to and beyond release, and that the X1600 and X1900 chipsets are particularly susceptible to issues. I wouldn't expect to see frame rate parity with Boot Camp any time soon though.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
A Valve poster on the Steam forums has responded saying that they will be continuing to tweak performance up to and beyond release, and that the X1600 and X1900 chipsets are particularly susceptible to issues. I wouldn't expect to see frame rate parity with Boot Camp any time soon though.

I also read a preview that said that the frame rate was slightly better under OS X. So I guess we will have to wait and see. Wouldn't surprise me if the newer graphics cards did better than the old one that previewer used.

somnolentsurfer

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
I also read a preview that said that the frame rate was slightly better under OS X. So I guess we will have to wait and see. Wouldn't surprise me if the newer graphics cards did better than the old one that previewer used.

Do you have a link for that? I'd not been able to find any other non-speculative coverage of how the beta games played, which was why I posted my link here. Normally I feel bad about whoreing my own blog around web forums!

But, yes, I fully expect the performance gap to be smaller on newer Macs.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Do you have a link for that? I'd not been able to find any other non-speculative coverage of how the beta games played, which was why I posted my link here. Normally I feel bad about whoreing my own blog around web forums!

But, yes, I fully expect the performance gap to be smaller on newer Macs.

Sorry, I looked around but I couldn't find it. I'm not sure where I found it, either on this site or the Mac topic on the Steam forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.