Steam In Home Streaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ancapreb, Dec 31, 2014.

1. ancapreb macrumors newbie

Hello,

Thinking in buying a rMBP 15", probably with the NVIDIA card, i7, 512GB and 16GB.

Reading comments, I have noticed that with CPU demanding games the fans become noisy and the laptop heats up.

Among other uses, I play to football manager and in theory the rMPB should handle it without problem...but just to know...

Anyone has tried the Steam in home streaming hosting in a windows desktop?
    Does it improve the fan/heat issue with CPU demanding games?

Thanks in advance and happy new year!!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

There is no fan nor heat issue with your laptop. You ask it to provide power for gaming. Power produces heat as a byproduct. Your fans speed up to extract that heat so that your computer doesn't fry itself. Everything works as intended.

As far as streaming goes, according to a friend of mine (I haven't tried it), it works just fine.

3. c1phr macrumors 6502

My brother uses in-home streaming to his 2010 MBP, and it works great for him. But if you're going to get that monster of a computer (same model I have), then the only reason I could see to stream is for Windows only games.

Otherwise, this machine will run most (if not all) Mac games you can throw at it. Sure, it's going to get hot and the fans are going to run, but that's normal and to be expected.

4. ancapreb thread starter macrumors newbie

5. FumbleDuck, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

FumbleDuck macrumors member

I have a mid-2014 rMBP but with the Intel Iris Pro (HD5200) graphics only.
    The laptop will play pretty much anything I want (although I haven't tried the latest games). But Borderlands, Crysis, Dota, Diablo, etc - all work OK.

But the thing gets HOT! Now I don't mean the case gets too hot (it gets pretty warm thats for sure but not enough to be uncomfortable) but the CPU/GPU reaches 100 degrees pretty quick. This is even after reducing effects such as Anti-aliasing, resolution,dynamic lighting blah,blah,blah.

I even have iStat Menus spinning the fans up before I even start gaming - doesn't make that much difference - all it does it give me a bit longer before it hits those temps. It never seems to go over 100 (maybe 102 once) and seems quite OK playing at that level. Maybe this is because the CPU starts throttling at this point I don't know.

By the way, when using the machine normally (web, emails, photos, etc) the idling temp is around 35 degrees - yup 35. You tube or a flash site may push it up to 45 but usually I'm in the 30s (ambient is 19/20).

So I have this wonderful machine which I use extensively for work and all round computing tasks but it just runs hot when gaming.

So then I discover Steam In-Home Streaming a few weeks ago. Holy Cow! This is what I've been waiting for. I can run Crysis (I know its old but I still play it) at full whack, everything on, at 1080p at 60fps with no issues. My Windows gaming rig is wired in to my hub (via a pair of power line adapters which aren't the best for this type of thing) and my rMBP is connected via wireless AC at 5GHz.

Latency is pretty good - I'm running at around 40ms with the occasional spike to 60. For me this is perfectly acceptable to play fps games. However I have not tried online fps with it so I don't know what lag that would introduce. I'm guessing it will be the 40ms + the ping from the server so that might be a bit of a deal breaker.
    Also I think with a bit more effort I could reduce the latency even further (no powerline adapters, direct gigabit connection, etc - and I think I have some issues with my 802.11ac wifi but thats another story).

Anyway just thought I would resurrect this thread just to say that Steam home streaming to a Macbook pro is basically awesome and is kind of the best of both worlds. I get the gorgeous rMBP screen and colours and the noisy, hot, large gaming rig is far away where I can't hear it in another room. Plus I can play pretty much all of my Windows games - I think it even allows you to stream non-steam games but they must be capable of displaying the overlay - not 100% sure on this.

As for temps, the rMBP does head up to 45-50 degrees when gaming for long periods (this is with the fans running at their default, quietest level) because I think the hardware decoding on the Iris Pro is working pretty hard but this is infinitely preferable to the 95+ I would get from gaming locally (plus I don't have all my desk space eaten up with Steam games). If I tweak the fans up a little to medium speed I reckon it'll drop below 40. Also the battery life is better for obvious reasons.

Hope that info is useful to someone!