Steam / L4D2 issues on 6core Mac Pro.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by CountlovE, Sep 19, 2010.

1. CountlovE macrumors regular

I am wondering if anyone else is having issues with the new Mac Pro's running Windows 7 with Steam and L4D2 using a 5870.

When I try to search for a game using steam in Windows 7, the second I type in Alien, it gives me a Runtime Error, and crashes Steam.

I am also experiencing hard lockups with L4D2. When I play Dead Center, the game loads up with Music/Voice chat, but no sound fx. Then when I walk to the first event which is the explosion down the hallway it locks up completely. A hard reboot is my only option.

I have Fdisked, full reformatted, and installed windows/software over again and I have the same issue everytime.

The only weird thing I can think of that might be causing this is because I am installing Steam on a HFS drive that is accessible using Mac Drive 8.

If anyone else is having this issue, please let me know.

Thanks!

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure that's your problem. STEAM is having trouble reading and writing to an HFS program. You must installed your games to a NTFS or FAT32 partition.

3. CountlovE thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think that's the issue. I have used Mac drive before to handle hfs for steam. And L4D2 is the only game I have issues with. All other steam games work fine.