Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5PEEDz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
hello everybody,
i recently just got a blackbook, and tried to download steam.
it seems like steam doesnt support OS X.. so is the only way to get steam is to bootcamp w/ windows? if so, is steam ever coming out w. a mac version??

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
What exactly is Steam? :confused: Maybe we can suggest a Mac friendly alternative.

scott85213

macrumors member
May 19, 2007
You can try crossover, parallels, or vmware. Though I doubt you'll have much luck with a blackbook. My macbook pro could barely run crossover and tf2. There have been rumors of steam trying to hire osx developers, but they are just rumors.. You'd be better off using bootcamp if you really want to play steam games on your laptop.

5PEEDz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
crossover makes your system run slower? or the graphics run slower or something?

5PEEDz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
how about cs 1.6? or GTA? these games are pretty old arent they?

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Crossover and VMWare/Parallels/VirtualBox really aren't great for gaming.

CrossOver although might be good enough for CS 1.6 and GTA

But for anything else, use bootcamp, its you best bet.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
Your best bet is to get a copy of XP and install it on a partition using boot camp, having integrated graphics in your blackbook is going to greatly limit what you will be able to play(I don't know if even TF2 will work). It sounds like this is your first time on a mac. Steam is only available for windows platforms, that is how valve produces the software right now, as the Mac market grows, I believe they will release a mac client, but I am sure that is still a few years out. I can run TF2 using Crossover Games(see my specs in my sig), but it doesn't run as well as when I boot into vista(due to having to run os x and a windows environment when Crossover is running). If you are looking for applications to replace your windows counterparts, search something like 'best os x apps' in google, and you will get a list of alot of amazing programs most of which are all free. But as for Steam, there is nothing out there that does the same thing for Macs. :apple:

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
crossover makes your system run slower? or the graphics run slower or something?

Crossover essentially is a windows emulator. You launch the program in OS X, and then you use it to launch a windows program. The reason it runs slower is because of all the overhead processes going on to run everything, and because you are essentially running windows and OS X at the same time. Crossover is also only compatible with a very small list of games(I believe CS:S, TF2, and Half-Life pretty much make up the list):apple:

5PEEDz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
I guess ill be picking up a copy of either windows xp/vista. probably a vista.. and yea im new to mac.. just got my blackbook today. and i absolutely loVE IT<3 =D

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Steam probably wont come to Mac because Apple does a HORRIBLE job of supporting gaming. Fanbois and apologists for Apple will say "oh boo hoo its because Valve wanted an investment" but it makes SENSE considering how small our community is (Mac users). If Apple brought Steam to OS X they would increase their market share by 3% over night.

Anyways, no there is no client, and all the games are made for Windows. Few games exist in OS X and if they are they are shi**y Aspyr ports. Still I'd recommend supporting Mac gaming so maybe one day it would get better.

Sorry im cynical but I just recently got a Mac and although I love it the lack of Mac gaming and horrible implementation depresses me every day.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You need to install Bootcamp and XP (or Vista) to get Steam working. Don't try Parallels or Crossover, from my experience (especially on a slower system) performance is going to suck.

You'll be able to run many Steam games but I wouldn't count on the newer ones. I've heard TF2 doesn't run too well on a MacBook. But there are many older and lesser demanding games on Steam. Including the oh-so very addictive Peggle.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
I remember an article a year or so ago where someone from Steam (or was it id?) said they wanted to make games for Mac but that they don't get any support from Apple. It sounds like Apple's to blame, at least partially.

But doesn't EA use an Apple program that converts PC code to Mac code? Couldn't other developers use this?

brian9271

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Next door
Running Steam on Crossover just messes up things, doesn't even work, I've got Windows now and Crossover is pretty useless now...

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
What exactly is Steam? :confused: Maybe we can suggest a Mac friendly alternative.

Steam is a app/service which enables gamers to browse and purchase games, download (& update, if necessary) them. IIRC you need to be logged into Steam to play the games too, hence it does require an active net connection.

The big game on it was Half Life 2, but now there are quite a lot.

I think Apple's gaming support has always been half-hearted. Until Apple has a large market share they're always going to struggle to attract many quality titles; and Apple isn't joining a fight it can't yet win.

OTOH, the way iTunes is going, it might not be long before it becomes a software download site for the Mac as well as the iPhone, and could be a great games distribution, anti-piracy and online gaming service.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The big game on it was Half Life 2, but now there are quite a lot.
And without HL2 Steam would have had a hard time taking off. One has to wonder if that HL2 leak spurred on Steam. In which case thank you hackers :D

OTOH, the way iTunes is going, it might not be long before it becomes a software download site for the Mac as well as the iPhone, and could be a great games distribution, anti-piracy and online gaming service.
TBH I can see iTunes being split into 2 apps, this idea you have (where you can purchase OSX and iPhone apps) and iTunes as it used to be. I think there's a design flaw in loading up iTunes to download something that isn't music or to be run on a media player at all.
I think something like this will happen but will end up being either built into OSX or that the shop will be renamed (Apple Store?).

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
TBH I can see iTunes being split into 2 apps, this idea you have (where you can purchase OSX and iPhone apps) and iTunes as it used to be. I think there's a design flaw in loading up iTunes to download something that isn't music or to be run on a media player at all.
I think something like this will happen but will end up being either built into OSX or that the shop will be renamed (Apple Store?).

I'd agree, it must have any business iPhone buyers scratching their heads at loading the ever increasingly inaccurately named iTunes to download business software or sync their phone.

It's a bit odd too having to load the bloated monolithic application if all you want to do is open one music file (though of course there are other options).

I think there are a couple of problems though
- the "iTunes" name is very well known now, they won't want to throw away that marketing effort to rebrand the download/distribution service.

- a key benefit of the iTunes experience is the convenience of its integrated nature. How do they break away the store/download side from the media player without impacting on that convenience?

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I wouldn't say Crossover Games is useless. I'm using it to run Civ IV, Star Wars: Empire at War (and the expansion) and Dawn of War, and they all run well. I even purchased Civ IV and the 2 expansions over Steam (because the Mac version lacks the 2nd expansion). Heroes of Might and Magic V is an Aspyr port that works fine for me, too.

It mostly depends on the type of game you play. One that relies on a high frame rate is probably not as well suited to Crossover and is better with Bootcamp.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You can use Wine/CrossOver or Bootcamp. I doubt there will be a Mac Steam for a long time.

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
cross over will be an option like most people have said, i dont think there will be steam for a while for mac

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
I guess ill be picking up a copy of either windows xp/vista. probably a vista.. and yea im new to mac.. just got my blackbook today. and i absolutely loVE IT<3 =D

Unless Vista is cheaper, I would suggest XP. If you really want vista then go ahead, but XP takes up less space, so you will have more space for games, plus xp uses less resources, meaning your games will run slightly faster. I would suggest a copy of xp pro sp2, but it is up to you. I am running vista business, and am looking for the opportunity to wipe it and install xp pro, I just haven't had the time or backup space to do it yet. Don't get a 64 bit version of XP(X64 I think Microsoft called it) if you do go that route, as it is not supported by Apples' Bootcamp. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new mac! :apple:

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
i run steam with 'crossover for games' and play half life 2, ep 1, 2, and deathmatch online.

runs very well if you ask me given the hardware my macbook has and the virtualization that is going on.

its no where near what it is on a pc, but its better than nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.