Steam Pack & Bootcamp on 2.4 uni?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Colin20, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Colin20 macrumors regular

Hey guys I would appreciate it if you could help me out here and voice your opinions, I'm new to mac and I just have this question regarding gaming and bootcamp.

I'm looking to buy a MBP 15" 2.4 this week and I have a friend who is really into playing games and we would like to play together. Anyways I'm not huge into pc/mac games since I have a PS3 but I would like to play the odd one with him.

My question is I'm looking at this steam pack for $99 and it includes all the games I'm interested in playing. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1134/
    I just want to make sure all of them will work properly and run smoothly on my 2.4 MBP under bootcamp.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh yes. They will run brilliantly.

Put it this way - I'm using a 9400M macbook as my main 'gaming PC' and Source Engine games run extremely well on it, all Source Engine games at native res, with everything on full.

3. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

Good to hear, I am ordering my MBP 15" soon too and would like to run some games in bootcamp also.

4. Colin20 thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! Either way this wasn't going to affect my purchase of the 2.4 but it's just another plus.

Thanks!

5. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Dude, that is months of fun right there (if not years).

6. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Such an awesome pack it is. :p

I paid more for less games when I bought HL2 + CSS, The Orange Box and L4D. :(

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Meh, it happens. You could have bought the Valve pack during the Steam sale and got a further 50% off ;)
    So long as you're enjoying the games you have that's all that matters. I suppose!

Oh and to revise my previous post -- L4D's GPU setting is on med. Every other setting is on high though.

8. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I'm able to play L4D at 1360x850, all settings high except shaders to medium, and 2xAA. Gets a constant 45 - 70 fps. :)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Then I might try adding that 2xAA to my Macbook then! I normally turn that off since I play at native res and it looks smooth as it is. But if theres no real performance cut then I might as well give it a try.

Offtopic completely but on my x1600 iMac I turned the model/texture and effects quality to high (graphics card on low) and it had no noticable impact. And that's a pants graphics card from 2006! I mean I know Valve are good at optimising performance but really now!

10. Grosseout macrumors newbie

Agreed, I play left for dead, hl2, and css on my 2 year old 2.33 mbp and it's still better than most my friends pc's, including my roommates alienware!
    Enjoy your new one!

11. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

great choice of games man.. the steam pack is great. Half-Life 2 will blow your mind!! I love it

and I just played an hour and a half session of L4D on my MB =) fun fun, your 2.4 will be fine.