Steam Question -Quick Question

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by AppleMactablet, Jun 26, 2010.

1. AppleMactablet macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

If I buy a Steam games thats only for windows and it's later released for Mac-is it free or do I have to pay for the mac copy too?

2. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to download it again for free.
    BTW, I like your sig. I hate it when someone calls it an "iTocuh" :mad:

3. AppleMactablet thread starter macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

Thanks-I wanted to get Audiosurf its only 2.50 but for windows, I did some research and found out the creator used a program to make the game thats windows only-so there's little hope for a port.

4. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering this as well, can anybody confirm based on Mac titles that are already released that they had previously purchased for the PC?

Thanks.

5. Venkman90 macrumors regular

Yep, all games bought on Steam for PC will show up on Mac once they are released for it.

Civ4 did for me (as well as Torchlight and all the Valve games).

6. bmwman4life11 macrumors member

i bought counter strike source , half life 2 a few years back and they both showed up when they were released for mac

7. hopsfield macrumors newbie

works !

all games you bought for pc - if they are avb on mac os then you will see them straight away as - available for download in your steam library.
    I got cs-s and football manager 2010 working !

8. CasaRed macrumors newbie

I wonder how well that works for ports if the port was done by somebody else. I've been planning on picking up Bioshock for Mac, but today the PC one is on sale for $5 (and as much as I like supporting Mac software, that is a helluva better deal than paying $40-$50 for the Mac version). So, I wonder what companies like Feral or Aspyr plan to do about Steam. I know Aspyr has GameAgent, but really, they'd have to look at what they offer versus Steam and see which way the wind is blowing. Does anyone know any info regarding plans for porting houses and Steam?

9. airwalke macrumors member

If it appears under Steam as "SteamPlay", you will have access to both versions regardless of platform.

10. Aloush macrumors member

It depends really.
    If the game developer wants to give it to you for free they can or they can charge you for a mac version.
    All valve games will be free, but others might charge you, I wouldn't take the risk to be honest.

11. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

This.