Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
It's not installing, but it's under my list of games to install. It does the same thing CSS beta did up until two days ago where it would say "Download Starting..." and then just say that the servers are too busy. It should be out any day now judging by this

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Penumbra trilogy appeared in my games list "ready to install" but says the server is too busy. They'll likely be in next weeks update I guess. :) Mac versions have existed for ages but it's nice they're (seemingly) coming to mac-steam.

If you like the physics puzzles in hl2 and sneaky survival horror they're good games.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Penumbra trilogy appeared in my games list "ready to install" but says the server is too busy.

Sweet!! Just checked, and it appeared for me as well. I got it for PC because it was absurdly cheap, but never finished Black Plague. Now I'll get to it. Hopefully I can bring my save over and it'll work...

tkingart

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2010
West Coast
Penumbra trilogy appeared in my games list "ready to install" but says the server is too busy. They'll likely be in next weeks update I guess. :) Mac versions have existed for ages but it's nice they're (seemingly) coming to mac-steam.

If you like the physics puzzles in hl2 and sneaky survival horror they're good games.

I just checked and they are showing up as Windows only. :(

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
After finally getting round to playing HL2 on OSX, I think I'm going to stop bothering with Source-engine games until I get a new Mac.

On Windows I run HL2 at 1280*800, 2xAA, 8xAF, everything on Medium (Shaders on High) to ensure a smooth 60fps. On OSX it drops to something*640, everything on medium, no AA, 4xAF and it runs at 30-40fps. That's not performance that I can "switch" to OSX for.
Its also not-so-great with dual monitors (under Windows I can just disable the one I'm not using).
Now... these smaller/indie games I'm all for. I hope we see a lot more of them turn up this week.

tkingart

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2010
West Coast
Jolly Rover just appeared, it's a point & click adventure game. Reminds me of Tales of Monkey Island, and looks like it could be quite entertaining. I'm a fan of point & click adventures; the corky humor and exploration. Great to see these kinds of games are still around.

Still, I would really like to see TF2 for mac completed, and perhaps Mass Effect 1 &/or 2 (after all, they did wine port Dragon Age Origins for the Mac...even though they abandoned us Mac gamers with no DLC's or updates- for shame.)

I would be a very happy Mac gamer to see Fallout 4: Vegas for the Mac, and a new Elder Scrolls game. These would keep me happy for a very longtime.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
After finally getting round to playing HL2 on OSX, I think I'm going to stop bothering with Source-engine games until I get a new Mac.
Yea, the performance isn't top notch right now, but there is work being done to improve it. Valve has been tweaking their engine, and for example when Mac OS X 10.6.4 is released (shouldn't be long), it should give a performance boost.

New Mac game appeared on Steam today: Jolly Rover. More new games on thursday, hopefully TF2.

allfunandgames

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand

On Windows I run HL2 at 1280*800, 2xAA, 8xAF, everything on Medium (Shaders on High) to ensure a smooth 60fps. On OSX it drops to something*640, everything on medium, no AA, 4xAF and it runs at 30-40fps. That's not performance that I can "switch" to OSX for.
Its also not-so-great with dual monitors (under Windows I can just disable the one I'm not using).
Now... these smaller/indie games I'm all for. I hope we see a lot more of them turn up this week.

Have you noticed an improvement in framerate with the updates from last week? Portal performance has improved drastically since release for me, and HL2 is already smoother due to the latest update. Hopefully the continuing update support will mean better FPS rates on the Source games - maybe give it another shot after another update or 2?

It is very encouraging that they are supporting the releases with performance upgrades. Maybe 10.6.4 will result in further graphical improvements...although I am keeping my expectations low.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Have you noticed an improvement in framerate with the updates from last week? Portal performance has improved drastically since release for me, and HL2 is already smoother due to the latest update. Hopefully the continuing update support will mean better FPS rates on the Source games - maybe give it another shot after another update or 2?

It is very encouraging that they are supporting the releases with performance upgrades. Maybe 10.6.4 will result in further graphical improvements...although I am keeping my expectations low.

I can't judge them really. I played Portal when it launched and HL2 on Sunday. Neither ran great, whereas they do run pretty well in Windows.

It is a good thing Source is on OSX. But for now I'm sticking with Windows.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I was playing episode 2 in a 1200x 2xAA window whilst idly watching a movie in VLC, with aperture loaded and an all day iPhone/iTunes sync going on and I still got very playable FPS. XD

This is on the 8800 based iMac (6GB) - my experiences with performance have been very positive, especially lately. It wasn't a lull in the game either, it was the bit with ant-lion turret defence and the vorts!

If 10.6.4 really boosts gaming I'll be very happy!

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I'm actually now able to run Portal at the same specs I do on Windows (maxed out, 1920x1200.) on my Mac Pro.

Half Life 2 I had to tone down the AA just a bit. I'm hoping that will change with 10.6.4. Then OS X will be on par with Windows.

R.R.Mac

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Guildford, England
well its Wednesday again in Bellevue (where steam is based) and so hopefully they'll release something today!! Well, for me in the UK it'll be tomorrow because of course they'll wait until 23:59:59 their time to release it!!! :p

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
well its Wednesday again in Bellevue (where steam is based) and so hopefully they'll release something today!! Well, for me in the UK it'll be tomorrow because of course they'll wait until 23:59:59 their time to release it!!! :p

There won't be anything today. Valve is at WWDC, so they'll be updating Mac side of Steam store tomorrow (thursday) instead.

And the update will happen around or after 18:00/6pm GMT.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
6pm tomorrow we should have something. I hope.

I know both games rely heavily on MS tech but it would be so ace to see Audiosurf and Defense Grid make their way to Mac. I could literally waste days on them 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.