OS Neutral Steam - which publisher gets the money?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by bmac89, Dec 23, 2014.

1. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

Hi,

I'm sure this has been mentioned on the forums before - but I have not been able to find any mention with searches.

I know there a different rules for which publisher gets the money (mac/windows) but I am interested to know what they actually are in different circumstances?

A couple examples - what would happen...

If I bought a game on Steam shortly prior to the mac release but play mostly on mac?

Or I buy a game prior to mac release, it sits in my inventory and is not activated until mac release?

Generally I prefer to buy directly from the publishers, however I have a few games sitting in the Steam inventory, and some which I have activated & started playing on windows shortly before the mac release. Obviously I would much rather the money goes to the mac publisher - after all I am playing on a mac.

Thanks.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yep, AspyrBlair and Edwin from Feral have given more detailed responses on this (Search their post histories)...but given your examples...

1. If you buy it on OS X and you play it there first, they will get the money.
    2. It depends on how long it sits there. I think the game has a month before it will be considered a "Windows" copy.

The two of them should really make a detailed post about this and make it a sticky. Seems to come up a lot, and it's not exactly straightforward.

3. bmac89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bmac89

Thanks for the reply. I can understand it being not straight forward - a sticky would be good. I already did a search under user 'edddeduck' but I could not find any mention - so I posted this thread. I know it has been mentioned but I can't find it.

4. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a