Steaming Video on Mini G4 1.42 GHz

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by JohnWoods, Jan 23, 2011.

1. JohnWoods macrumors newbie

I have the following Mac Mini:

Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: PowerMac10,1
    Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
    Processor Speed: 1.42 GHz
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)

I have obtained a USB AterMac adapter as I had no Bluetooth. I am now trying to stream video off the internet as an entertainment centre and it is very jerky. Is my processor too slow? If so is there anything I can do about it? I try using another Mini I have which is a 1.68 GHz and it is not jerky but that machine is a work machine at this point.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The big difference is that your second Mini is a Dual-Core CPU, your G4 Mini has a single 1.42Ghz G4, Apparently MacTubes is a good piece of software to let you watch videos on your G4 (The CPU is the issue generally - my PowerBook G4 1.67 struggles with it as well).

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

its not the cpu alone , the graphics card is responsible too ,so is the harddrive
    as for streaming videos i have no problem on my eMac G4 1.42 ghz the only differences in between them is the ati radeon 9600 in the eMac with 64mb compared to the ati radeon 9200 with 32 mb in the mini
    and the faster hardrive in the eMac (7200rpm) and with 2 gb double the ram of the mini

you could improve things if you lower to 240p instead of 320p in the flashsettings of the player and by using tenfourfox instead of mozilla firefox or safari
    i can watch youtube at 240p without stutter on my iMac G3 700mhz thanks to this browser

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

its also leopard slowing you down

i have similar mini 1.25,1 gig

i have installed both leopard and tiger...simply put...tiger runs way better (i also have done some terminal tweaks)...in leopard eveything felt slow...even basic browsing using safari,firefox,cameno was painfull...while in tiger it's not to bad...i can play utube in 240 full screen without any jerking.