"steel/titanium inserts" are a new Waldo

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
I only see clip holders which do have some steel, but the gaps between them act like stress focus points.

e.g.

----------

this?

but that's where it bends best! :D

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Can we please give this a rest. This is so over blown. Don't buy the iPhone if you are scared it will bend. Honestly though rehashing the same crap all day long is mind numbing.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013

Can we please give this a rest. This is so over blown. Don't buy the iPhone if you are scared it will bend. Honestly though rehashing the same crap all day long is mind numbing.
It's a forum about the iphone and this is the largest and most known problem the iphone is facing currently. I'm not sure what you expect. If you don't like it just don't visit threads about it.

Sherif Iskander

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2002
OK. Looking very carefully at the photo from the teardown. Notice the volume buttons are place on a relatively thick steel bracket. Looks like the intent was to have this provide some structural strength to where the cutouts for the volume buttons are. This bracket appears to be held in place by 2 small screws that attach to the small black inserts. My take here is that probably what is happening is one of two things:

1. The small black inserts move upwards when the phone is subjected to pressure in this location thus effectively allowing the bracket to move reducing the support it gives the frame.

2. The screws holding the bracket are made of soft metal and they themselves bend or shear off when the phone is subjected to pressure at this location. Or it could be as simple as some assembly error where the wrong screws were used in a particular batch of phones.

Either way I think it's an easy manufacturing modification that can be made quickly.

The fact that these relatively thick brackets were used leads me to conclude that Apple recognized the areas with cutouts would be weakened and worked on strengthening them.

Just my 2c.

./sherif

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
It's a forum about the iphone and this is the largest and most known problem the iphone is facing currently. I'm not sure what you expect. If you don't like it just don't visit threads about it.
But there are no threads that aren't about it.....

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
But there are no threads that aren't about it.....
You're exaggerating. Mods are even deleting a lot of bend threads and redirecting, it's just a big issue.

There are other threads though if you're being serious and not hyperbolic then you didn't look very hard on the front page.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Inserts don't always mean separate parts. They can be embedded in the frame. The stainless steels are attached on the side frame though. I believe Apple already did through FEM analysis.

Sherif Iskander

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2002
Inserts don't always mean separate parts. They can be embedded in the frame. The stainless steels are attached on the side frame though. I believe Apple already did through FEM analysis.
Look at the close up pic above. The inserts are clearly not machined out of the frame. The frame is machined with a c-section to hold the black colored inserts.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Notice the volume buttons are place on a relatively thick steel bracket. Looks like the intent was to have this provide some structural strength to where the cutouts for the volume buttons are.
This bracket's main purpose to be a stop for volume buttons, but I agree, it kinda doubles as a strengthener. But because it attaches to the frame just by the ends, its end closest to the middle acts as a focal point for stress, where the soft "aluminiminium" almost snaps, as clearly demonstrated by the #bendgate video.

Sherif Iskander

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2002
This bracket's main purpose to be a stop for volume buttons, but I agree, it kinda doubles as a strengthener. But because it attaches to the frame just by the ends, its end closest to the middle acts as a focal point for stress, where the soft "aluminiminium" almost snaps, as clearly demonstrated by the #bendgate video.

I agree. However, I think the designer's intent was to have it completely flush with the bottom of the frame. Notice, the machined pads for it to rest on. Should have gone the safe route and just made it 1/4 to 3/8 inch longer. That way it cannot "rotate" around the screw.

./sherif

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

You can't get on macrumors without it being over taken by these threads. It's crazy.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
The largest problem the iPhone is facing?? There are 9 reports out of 10,000,000 units sold. Nice try.

I'd say yesterdays software update was a WAY larger problem.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The largest problem the iPhone is facing?? There are 9 reports out of 10,000,000 units sold. Nice try.

I'd say yesterdays software update was a WAY larger problem.
So you have evidence that none of the other 9999991 iPhone 6 owners have bent their phones? Just because they haven't posted here it doesn't necessarily mean that nobody else is experiencing problems.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
So you have evidence that none of the other 9999991 iPhone 6 owners have bent their phones? Just because they haven't posted here it doesn't necessarily mean that nobody else is experiencing problems.
Apple says they haven't complained to them. So it must not be that big an issue.

Justin33

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
This is why we cant have nice things.

Stop with the iphone anorexia, apple!! Grr.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
40,000 people got a brick after updating to 8.0.1. I'd say that's a bigger issue that people were having.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.