"steel/titanium inserts" are a new Waldo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samiznaetekto, Sep 25, 2014.

1. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

2. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

I looked at the teardown as well, and I think they may have meant the screw sets. Does anyone see anything?

3. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

I only see clip holders which do have some steel, but the gaps between them act like stress focus points.

e.g.
    [​IMG]

----------

this?

[​IMG]

but that's where it bends best! :D

4. troop231 macrumors 603

Why isn't there cup-holders though? :mad: Everyone knows and wants there to be as many cup-holders as possible in things now days.

5. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

[​IMG]

Can we please give this a rest. This is so over blown. Don't buy the iPhone if you are scared it will bend. Honestly though rehashing the same crap all day long is mind numbing.

6. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

It's a forum about the iphone and this is the largest and most known problem the iphone is facing currently. I'm not sure what you expect. If you don't like it just don't visit threads about it.

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

8. bob24 macrumors 6502

I guess you have found the mighty steel/titanium inserts yes ;-)

Not only an Apple thing, but I always hate this kind of corporate talk careful picking works to bend the truth ...

9. Sherif Iskander macrumors member

OK. Looking very carefully at the photo from the teardown. Notice the volume buttons are place on a relatively thick steel bracket. Looks like the intent was to have this provide some structural strength to where the cutouts for the volume buttons are. This bracket appears to be held in place by 2 small screws that attach to the small black inserts. My take here is that probably what is happening is one of two things:

1. The small black inserts move upwards when the phone is subjected to pressure in this location thus effectively allowing the bracket to move reducing the support it gives the frame.

2. The screws holding the bracket are made of soft metal and they themselves bend or shear off when the phone is subjected to pressure at this location. Or it could be as simple as some assembly error where the wrong screws were used in a particular batch of phones.

Either way I think it's an easy manufacturing modification that can be made quickly.

The fact that these relatively thick brackets were used leads me to conclude that Apple recognized the areas with cutouts would be weakened and worked on strengthening them.

Just my 2c.

./sherif

10. bandrews macrumors 6502a

But there are no threads that aren't about it.....

11. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

You're exaggerating. Mods are even deleting a lot of bend threads and redirecting, it's just a big issue.

There are other threads though if you're being serious and not hyperbolic then you didn't look very hard on the front page.

12. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Inserts don't always mean separate parts. They can be embedded in the frame. The stainless steels are attached on the side frame though. I believe Apple already did through FEM analysis.

13. Sherif Iskander macrumors member

Look at the close up pic above. The inserts are clearly not machined out of the frame. The frame is machined with a c-section to hold the black colored inserts.

14. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

This bracket's main purpose to be a stop for volume buttons, but I agree, it kinda doubles as a strengthener. But because it attaches to the frame just by the ends, its end closest to the middle acts as a focal point for stress, where the soft "aluminiminium" almost snaps, as clearly demonstrated by the #bendgate video.

[​IMG]

15. Sherif Iskander macrumors member

I agree. However, I think the designer's intent was to have it completely flush with the bottom of the frame. Notice, the machined pads for it to rest on. Should have gone the safe route and just made it 1/4 to 3/8 inch longer. That way it cannot "rotate" around the screw.

./sherif

16. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

You can't get on macrumors without it being over taken by these threads. It's crazy.

17. chabig macrumors 68040

I disagree. The current problem isn't with the phone. It is the FUD spreading across the internet.

18. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

19. chabig macrumors 68040

Right. FUD. Any phone will bend with that kind of pressure.

20. woodynorman macrumors 6502

The largest problem the iPhone is facing?? There are 9 reports out of 10,000,000 units sold. Nice try.

I'd say yesterdays software update was a WAY larger problem.

21. musiciscool macrumors regular

There are lots of day traders, aapl shorters and fandroids out there....

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

So you have evidence that none of the other 9999991 iPhone 6 owners have bent their phones? Just because they haven't posted here it doesn't necessarily mean that nobody else is experiencing problems.

23. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

Apple says they haven't complained to them. So it must not be that big an issue.

24. Justin33 macrumors regular

Justin33

This is why we cant have nice things.

Stop with the iphone anorexia, apple!! Grr.

25. woodynorman macrumors 6502

40,000 people got a brick after updating to 8.0.1. I'd say that's a bigger issue that people were having.