Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
There are a few brand new in box MBAs on the Bay right now for about the same price as a refurb, from reputable sellers. With the current live.com $200 (max) discount, the price becomes $1100-$1200. That's tough to pass up.

I'm torn between snagging one of these, or spending the extra coin on a Macbook, or waiting for the rev2 MBA, especially with all the heat and other issues I've read about on the first model.

The MBA would suit my needs as a couch computer, that occasionally gets toted out of town on trips. The Macbook would probably stay home due to its size and weight, but it seems like a lot more bang for the buck.

I have a DVD drive on my desktop in the next room, so lack thereof on a notebook is not a deal killer (+1 MBA). But I have a SuperDrive in my current 12" Powerbook which gets used all the same (+1 MB).

Any opinions?

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I am on the same boat as you. I already have a MB 2.1ghz, 320GB HD so I don't really need a work horse.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
I would hold off and wait for the next rev. I think apple is slowly giving in to user demands by adding extra ports.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I would hold off and wait for the next rev. I think apple is slowly giving in to user demands by adding extra ports.
Macbook still has 2 USB's and has now lost Firewire 400, one less connection.
Macbook Pro still has 2 USB's and has now lost Firewire 400, one less connection. Every other Mac still has the same number of ports that it did before hand.

Why would you think that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.