Steep drop in battery life!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mikegs, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Mikegs macrumors regular

I am on jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.3.2. Since yesterday or the day before my phone loses 20 percent or more overnight on pure standby. It has always been 1-2 percent. Reboot did not help. Only thing that changed was an Update of pkgbackup.

Can anyone help pinpoint and solve this??

Thank you

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd start with uninstalling that.

3. Mikegs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried a restore including re-jailbreak. Did not help. Removed pkgbackup without effect. Still loses about 50% a day on standby with wifi on, bluetooth and push off (exactly the same as when battery was good, i.e. max 10% drop per day on standby).

Also, I have recently bought a Tomtom car kit. When using it, the phone gets very hot. Could it have damaged the battery?

Is there an app for monitoring battery consumption from individual processes?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

My guess would be the Tom Tom car kit ruining your battery. There's no way pkgbackup would cause it.

5. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

k mite sound crazy but there is a solution.

1. run the battery right out till it turns off then try turing it on if it turns on wait for it to run out again. Keep doing this till it will not turn on at all.
    2. {hears the crazy bit} put it in the fridge over night.
    3. keep it on charge for like three days till you can be sure its fully charged up.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Where did you come up with this?

7. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

4. Ensure you stand on one leg whilst doing the above :p

Put it in the fridge? Really??

8. Genocide macrumors member

Storing cells at a lower temperature increases the duration a cell will hold its charge.

9. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Don't forget to wrap it in tin foil...pre-heat oven to 400...bake for 30 minutes. This will de-thaw your battery.

On a serious note, freezing sounds weird unless you can back that up with something...but you certainly don't need to leave it on the charger for 3 days to be sure it's fully charged. (replying to the first guy with the steps here, not Hermes)

10. Genocide macrumors member

A fridge is not freezing your iPhone, it is lowering the temperature (yet it remains above 0 degree Celsius) of the battery cells, which in turn increases their duration to hold charge.

In fact, if you put your phone in a freezer it could break the battery as the water used in batteries for a medium would expand. Though salts used in the water would make it difficult for a freezer to damage the battery

11. mstruve macrumors regular

I have also suddenly noticed a MAJOR drop in battery life in the last couple of days. It's never been a problem before, but it's suddenly dropping 1% every few mins.

I've read elsewhere that it could be to do with the exchange account. I use Gmail exchange, and I know they've recently updated google sync, so I'm wondering whether those changes could be affecting the battery life.

Anyone else use google sync and noticed poor battery life lately?

And please don't advise me to put my phone in the fridge!

12. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No! Don't wrap the phone in foil! You need the foil for making the hat...:p

I installed a profile for corporate email on my iPhone and noticed it was running through 20% battery in an hour. :eek: I disabled push for work email and all was pretty much back to normal. :)

13. Mikegs thread starter macrumors regular

Ok back to the problem at hand

Actually recently added my hotmail account through Exchange to gain imap like abilities, that i used mBox mail to get previously.

Will disable and go back to mBox mail. Reporting back tomorrow

14. Mikegs thread starter macrumors regular

It didn't help to remove my exchange mail account (i never used push anyway and only fetch manually).

Standby time still reduced to about 1/5 of what it was a week ago, lasting approximately 1.5 days with no use and only wifi on....

Any other ideas? Do you think it qualfies for a replacement battery?

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

16. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

Thank you both!
    I told you it mite sound crazy but it works so give it ago

17. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I had a similar issue — sudden steep battery fall-offs recently. For me, the solution was pretty easy — do a full back-up, restore the phone, then restore from the back-up. I'm not quite sure how this worked as it put all of the same apps back on the phone, but my battery life increased significantly (as in, to normal).

18. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

mine was just acting weird and i did a full restore from back-up and got this on my next full charge with no iPod, pandora, radio. only web, email, text, facebook and some games. i was too tired to let it die so im sure it would of been 9hrs of usage.

[​IMG]

19. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

You could always restore it to its factory settings. If it is still draining quickly you could set two genius bar appointment and then hang out at the store all day. Every time the genius walks by, you can say "See, look how low the battery is now". If you do that all day, eventually they will give you a replacement. Please take video...would make my day;)

20. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

Oh yeah.. the second appointment should be at the end of the day so that he can't tell you to set another appointment and come back tomorrow.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Don't put in in the fridge even though the iPhone "works best" from 32 F to 95 F. The battery is defective or not and you need to isolate hardware from software. Almost all the battery problems in the forum have been resolved by restoring as new phone (software issue).

Here's Apple's battery care guide: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html Do run it down completely at least once a month.

Also, restore as a new phone as someone suggested and I recommend you not JB again until you've determined it isn't a hardware problem. Shouldn't be a big deal... Restore at bedtime. Jailbreak in the morning (and then just walk away).

22. Mikegs thread starter macrumors regular

Already tried a restore (post 3), firmware was upgraded from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3, no change...

23. PNutts, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Ah, when I read that I thought you restored and immediately JB without an evaluation inbetween. My bad.

Edit: Probably time to hit up a Genius. One of my iPhones started losing about 1% every 3-4 minutes until I did a restore as new phone.

24. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Did you restore as new? This will fix the drain guaranteed.

25. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Did you do a restore from backup? If so, you've changed nothing. Do a restore as NEW. Then check your battery usage for a day or so.