Steermouse vs. USB Overdrive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Thiol, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Anyone have any preference between the two? Thanks in advance...

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

USB Overdrive definitely. I find that you can get much better feel to the mouse when adjusting the acceleration settings than with Steermouse. While Steermouse has better mouse acceleration than Apple's drivers, USB Overdrive seems to do it right even better.

The only problem is that USB Overdrive isn't updated all that often. Not that it needs to be, but right now I'm using Steermouse because USB Overdrive doesn't support the Mighty Mouse.

Featureswise USB Overdrive also seems to be ahead at least for regular mice, we'll see how it compares when using the Magic Mouse. Steermouse also doesn't seem to work with BetterTouchTool, which is a shame since it has far more extensive mouse gestures support.

3. applevx macrumors member

My 2¢ to USB Overdrive too!

Steermouse is good hacker for only one mouse at a time, not easy to handle two or more mouse. You have to reconfigure every each of mouse when you use it. It's very annoy to someone like me have two mouses at home and another two in two different office location.

On the other hand, USB Overdrive is very good at handle my four mouses without any interfere. I set up each mouse once, then forget USB Overdrive and just use any mouse when I need them. (One mouse for FPS game like COD4-MW, one for CAD and CS4 design softwares, the other two from company cheap mouse for general use)

Only one concern is:
    USB Overdrive 3.0.1 is 64bit using 8.7MB memory,
    while Steermouse 4.0.1 is 32bit using 2.4MB memory.

I think 8.7MB memory is not that big deal anyway, so I choose USB Overdrive over Steermouse.

Hope this may help you. :)

4. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I just wanted to bump this old thread back to the top and see if there were any additional or new opinions on the matter.