Steinheil AF vs. Screenguardz (pictures inside)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by wiretapMD, Apr 18, 2010.

1. wiretapMD macrumors member

Here are some pictures of the Steinheil AF screen protector (iPad with Belkin Grip Vue) head to head with the Screenguardz (iPad with Apple case)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screenguardz:
    [​IMG]

Steinheil AF:
    [​IMG]

Screenguardz:
    [​IMG]

Steinheil AF:
    [​IMG]

My observations:

1. Adhesivity:
    The Steinheil was installed just yesterday. The screenguardz has been installed for more than a week. There have been no improvements to the earlier complaint I had on the screenguardz wherein the outermost 2-3mm edges have failed to cling properly.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Upon installation, all areas of the Steinheil clinged instantly:
    [​IMG]

2. Anti-fingerprint capability
    Stenheil wins without a doubt in this aspect.

3. Screen clarity
    From what I've noticed so far, the Screenguardz is clearer than the Stenheil, especially when a bright image or background is displayed. However, in dark backgrounds like when viewing videos, the clarity is diminished only to a lesser extent. The LCD pixels could be clearly viewed in the Screenguardz but otherwise have been smoothened out in the Steinheil.

Overall, I pick the Steinheil over the Screenguardz. There is a tiny reduction in screen clarity and quality, but not that significant to bother me. I believe that the anti-glare and anti-fingerprint feature of the Steinheil offsets this perceived disadvantage.

Thanks for looking.

2. freddy425 macrumors regular

wow, really appreciate this post!

I was looking for something like this because I'm having a tough time deciding what screen guard to get when I get my iPad but now I know - the steinheil anti fingerprint.

thanks! it was a great help:D

3. andrewb21 macrumors member

This should be stickied in the accessories thread.

4. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Dang. What camera did you use for those photos may I ask...

5. wiretapMD thread starter macrumors member

Panasonic Lumix LX-3

6. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

7. jeffp macrumors member

How difficult was it to install the Steinheil? Were there any problems with bubbles? Steinheil makes both the anti-fingerprint and crystal clear screens. Perhaps the crystal clear screen would have been clearer than the Sreenguardz? Thanks for the comparison. These screens are pretty expensive so it would be nice to know that they install and perform well for the money. I like to see how well the LX-3 works for this type of illustration. I really enjoy mine.

8. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I prefer Steinhall AF. That's what I use on my iPhone and my iPad. Another good product is made by Radtech. Very similar to Steinhall. I don't like PowerSupport, as it seems more blurry to me.

9. wiretapMD thread starter macrumors member

The SQ would definitely be clearer but I doubt it if it would have the same anti-fingerprint characteristics as it's AF counterpart.

10. jeffp macrumors member

I went ahead and ordered the crystal clear model for the clarity and to see how well it works compared to your anti-glare screen. Once it arrives I'll install it and post the results.

11. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Thank you for this...great pics and good write up. I should be getting my Steinheil AF today.

12. wiretapMD thread starter macrumors member

Just an update guys...

I emailed NLU products regarding my complaints on the screenguardz. It turns out that the protectors I received were from the initial batch that had some issues with regards to the cutting machine, thus causing the edges to not stick properly. They sent out replacement protectors to my NJ address however I have been out of the country since April 12 and won't be back till September. They were so kind as to offer to ship it to me via USPS priority all the way here in Seoul where I'm presently located. I look forward to receiving it and trying it out. Will post pics as soon as I get to install it.

13. majinoo macrumors member

Would you say that you could be able to read a book outside in full sunlight with the Steinheil AF?

14. Advil macrumors 6502a

I used to use one of these anti-glare/fingerprint screens on my iPhone 3g. it was fantastic. I'm trying to decide whether or not my iPad needs one. it definitely eliminates fingerprints, but at the same time reduces the clarity of the beautiful screen.

15. n0de macrumors 6502

I'm not familiar with either brand the OP reviews, but I just installed the incipio anti-glare model today. Very similar review as the anti-glare product reviewed above. The clarity of the screen is slightly diminished, but no more smudges!

16. flyer.mw macrumors newbie

I just installed the Steinheil AF on my iPad and it is awesome! Seriously guys, if you like having anti-glare films on your iPhone, you will not be disappointed by the iPad versions. I've been using my iPad all day and have noticed very little screen distortion. It feels great to the touch and you can say goodbye to those nasty finger smudges.

17. supermanx macrumors member

I have the incipio on pre order at amazon, hoping they get it in soon. Frankly he glossy screen is really annoying for any video watching.