Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I got these shipped to me with my SGP ultra thin case, and frankly they're total junk.

I put these one after people were saying it's better than Power Support Anti-Glare... frankly it couldn't be further from the truth.

after applying it, I felt like i needed a new pair of glasses, things were just so blurry, sure the colours seemed more vibrant, but the rest was just too blurry.

I have this anti-glare from a company I never heard of(bought it at a fido store), i think it's called TRU anti glare which is better than the Steinheil and maybe slightly better than Power Support.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I couldn't agree with you more! I posted the same thing in another thread here and someone suggested that I needed glasses!:p To me the PS Anti-Glare was much better (although I'm using a PS Crystal right now) and I couldn't even look at the screen with the Steinheil installed without getting a headache. Other people swear that the Steinheil is superior to the PS, but my experience was quite the opposite (not to mention the horrible customer service experience I had with SGP). They won't get another dime from me.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I couldn't agree with you more! I posted the same thing in another thread here and someone suggested that I needed glasses!:p To me the PS Anti-Glare was much better (although I'm using a PS Crystal right now) and I couldn't even look at the screen with the Steinheil installed without getting a headache. Other people swear that the Steinheil is superior to the PS, but my experience was quite the opposite (not to mention the horrible customer service experience I had with SGP). They won't get another dime from me.

I had fantastic service with SGP, they had shipped me a Plus case with no protectors, I emailed them and within an hour they shipped it out my protectors. to my surprise they shipped a whole package (case and protectors)

But really, the PS anti Glare is better, the image is crisp, though the colours aren't as vibrant.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Sorry but I have to disagree on that, when I compared the PS Anti-glare last year and the SGP Anti-fingerprint, the clarity was more on the SGP side.

I compared them side by side when I was about to place the SGP. I had an extra Anti-glare (thanks to Air jacket case) and just placed both of the films halfway on my screen. That's when I realized the SGP is really better than PS. The first thread of SGP somewhere in the forums has some pictures of it, that's what triggered me to buy SGP last year and still the best so far.

I don't know if they redesigned on SGP's side or something, but I've been using my SGP Anti-fingerprint since last Fall and still this thing rocks!

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I also prefer the SGP anti-fp. Clearer than the others.

Just try for yourself. As with the OP, "your mileage may vary".

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Side by side, the Steinheil Anti fingerprint is much more clear then the PowerSupport Anti Glare. I had one of each on two phones, and next to each other, the difference was night and day.

So MadGoat, I'd look into those new glasses if I were you. :D

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I have to say also that when I compared the two side by side on my devices that the SGP Steinheil one was better as far as "clarity" was concerned. That said however, I no longer use anti-fingerprint at all cause I got sick of taking the thing off every once in a while and then realizing just how beautiful the screen was without that frosty look over it.

Now I am using one of the PS crystal films and love it!

Will not go back to the antiglare. :D

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
I used AF protectors for such a long time. Used to love my PS AF. But once I bought the SGP, there really was no going back.

Not sure what the OP is referring to, but the SGP has better clarity than the PS. Both leave a "milky" effect on the screen that is especially noticeable on whites... but the SGP is better in this regard.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Just removed my PS antiglare. Used it 3 weeks, and would rather have scratches and fingerprints than that p.o.s.!!!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I am wondering

if a bad batch didn't get out. I 1st ordered PS because al the raves I hated it I think I used it 2 days. then somebody said they used the Steinheil Anti fingerprint so I ordered them well I love mine. Shortly after I got mine a bunch of complaints started coming in. SGP pulled the product for a while. I emailed them asked them whats up no response. but the product is back again. now I am not sure if IO should order it or not!

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I definitely think a bad batch got out. I'm 100% sure the Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint was worse than the PS Anti-Glare for me - it wasn't even close. The fact that it wasn't even close tells me that something must have been wrong since most people seem to agree that the Steinheil is better. If it was close, it would have been easy to say that I was just wrong (or that I needed glasses;)). The screen was blurry with the Steinheil on - I saw it, my sister saw it. I'm well aware of the type of effect an "anti-glare" screen shield has on a screen since I had used a PS Anti-Glare on my 3G for almost a year. The Steinheil was unusable - blurry, too frosty, awful. In fact, my experience with the Steinheil was so bad that I actually decided to try out the PS Crystal and that's what I'm using right now (I figured I had tried both of the popular anti-glare shields so why not try a crystal?). I have to tell you, the difference is night and day - it really does look like there's nothing on the screen. The fingerprints are definitely a bit annoying but at least when you do clean them off, you're looking at a crystal-clear screen (unlike the anti-glare which looks a bit frosty no matter what). I'm just hoping someone comes out with an oleophobic, crystal screen shield, because that would probably be the perfect screen shield - cut down on the fingerprints while preserving the natural beauty of the screen. I know some people will say to just go naked since the screen already has oleophobic properties, but I'm scared to scratch my screen and like having an added layer of protection. If/when an oleophobic screen protector hits the market, I'm all over it.

serialtoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
1 of 8 bits
Im not happy with SGP's products either. Ive purchased the anti finger print and the crystal clear. Anti Finger print totally makes the screen blurry, and the crystal clear scratches up really easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.