Steinheil Crystal Clear top/bottom edges won't fully stay down...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JCJiffy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. JCJiffy macrumors newbie

Does anyone else have problems with the Steinheil Crystal Clear screen protector top/bottom edges not wanting to stick to the screen fully? The area around the Home button also lifts up slightly no matter what. I push and squeegee but some slight areas at the top and bottom and around home button keep lifting.

Any suggestions on getting them to stick down to the screen fully flat?

2. threezero macrumors 6502

you must of got sum micro dirt/lint under the button. you can try to take it off clean it and reuse it.

one method to clean is to use clear masking tape on the adhesive side of the screen shield. be careful not to get any fingerprint. Good luck.

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

4. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I had a similar problem with one of my Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint shields (my problem was around the ear piece though). Sounds like they have a quality control issue. Good luck getting them to help you in any way.

5. mmll macrumors newbie

I bet you the small bubble you have around the ear piece are a result of specks of dust that got trapped underneath when you applied the cover

i just applied my stenheil protector today and it took a good 10 mins to get it perfect but i'm VERY happy with the final result. i just got my 3GS two weeks ago and i had bought another screen protector first that didn't work at all.

In order to replace it I bought the ultrathin case from sgpstore and it came with the steniheil antiglare and antifingerprint screen protectors. i applied the antifingerprint one to my phone already, and i'm going to try the antiglare one on my wife's phone later.

a few tips that a couple of my friends told me that will help you apply your screen protector for a perfect no bubble result:
    1. clean the screen thoroughly first with a pc/electronics wet wipe - this will get rid of all grease - unfortunately the screen protector does not come with a wipe)
    2. dry with the provided microcloth (there should be absolutely NO dust left - in fact, I would work in a really clean area that you have already cleaned prior to all this)
    3. take a piece of scotch tape and apply it to the screen protector on one end (on the non-adhesive side) - it should be long enough that it hangs over the end of the protector - you will use this to hold onto the protector as you apply it
    4. be careful not to touch the adhesive side as you use the piece of scotch tape to remove the screen protector from it's backing
    5. line up the top of the protector with the top of the iphone - i used the edges and the ear speaker as a guide
    6. holding the protector by the scotch tape very slowly lower it from the top end down - you really shouldn't get any large bubbles at all if you go slow enough and put a good 'bend' in the protector as you lay it down
    7. now the tricky part - some small bubbles may exist - i found they were appearing because of small flecks of dust near the edge
    8. carefully lift the protector near those edge that have bubbles - again use scotch tape not your fingers! you don't need to fully remove the protector - just enough to expose the part(s) that had small bubble
    9. take another piece of scotch tape and apply it spefcifically to the spots that have the specks of dust that are creating the bubbles
    10. again, be careful not to touch antyhing else (like your fingers) to the adhesive side as this will mark it all up
    11. carefully lower the protector back down - bubbles should be gone
    12. use the provided "squegee" to get rid of any other bubbles. if any bubbles remain i found it was because of dust - so just repeat steps 7-11 again to remove the dust

i got a perfect result at the end - but it took some effort to remove all the little specks of dust

6. threezero macrumors 6502

the sgp plus ultra thin comes with 2 screen protector one clear (color enhance) and 1 antiglare.

not antiglare and anti fingerprint ^^^ stated. antiglare = antifingerprint

7. w00tme macrumors member

their quality is horrible. i bought the steinheil anti-fingerprint films and they did the same thing.

i believe that their cutting mechanism is not sharp enough causing a permanent deformation before finally making the cut.

15 bucks wasted. i had to throw out both films due to this problem.

8. JCJiffy thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up getting the Power Support Crystal Films and had no issues applying it at all. No lifting anywhere.

For those suggesting that it was an installation issue with the Steinheil, it was not. I made sure there was no dust when applying. I threw away the 1st one thinking something was screwy. And the 2nd supplied film did the exact same thing with careful application. I could tell something wasn't quite right with the flatness of the films.

9. jblock macrumors regular

I have a minor bubble right near the home button and another one near the earpiece. They are very tiny. I tried cleaning with tape but I don't think it's dust; I know what those bubbles look like.