Step by step guide to get tethering & Visual Voicemail to work together. Mac version

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HiFiGuy528, Jun 18, 2009.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

There are so many threads on how to do this but ALL of them are missing one or two important steps. Either you get tethering to work but no visual voicemail or the other way around. I want to post this "clean" one page DIY to save others time reading multiple forums to get both features to work.

So here you go. Please let me know in reply if this worked for you, or not.

From www.9to5mac.com

run a little command in terminal (Make sure you are on OS 3.0 on a 3G iPhone and iTunes 8.2):

defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE

After that, the steps become a lot more simple.
    1. Download this file (for AT&T) and mount the disk image (thanks Gizmodo) for other carriers, try here.
    2. Option-click on "restore" in your iTunes with your iPhone attached. Browse to the opened disk image file and hit OK. It will update phone settings for a few seconds.
    3. You have tethering. Now go into your iPhone/settings/general/network/Internet Tethering and turn it on.
    4. With the USB still connected. Go to System Perferences>Network
    If Ethernet Adaptor (en3) is NOT on the list to your left, add it and hit Apply

[​IMG]

5. You should now see the pretty blue "tethering" screen on your iPhone.

[​IMG]

Setup Bluetooth:

1. Go to System perferences>Bluetooth>+ and set up bluetooth as instructed on your Mac.
    2. Now connect as show in screen shot.

[​IMG]

Setup Visual VoiceMail:

1. Keep the phone connected to iTunes and option + click Check for Update
    2. Navigate to your "username"->Library->iTunes->iPhone Carrier Support
    3. Select the file contained within "iPhone Carrier Support" and proceed

Carrier file can be found here (scroll down to post#11) and follow the steps.

[​IMG]

4. Your VM should be set and you should NOT see Cellular Data anymore. I wrote this while tethering. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. The-Other-Guy macrumors newbie

Thank you. I did not even think my vm was not working. I guess since I have not missed a call today I did not even check. I did just now and it was not working. I followed your posted steps and got it working.

I too am posting via a teethered connection now. :)

My only issue is that I can not get my iphone reconnected to my MBP's BT again. It was working great yesterday. Good news is the USB still works. I will try deleting the relationship in the BT settings and starting again.

3. mynameisrichard macrumors member

I don't have anything showing up in the iPhone Carrier Support folder?

4. Silv3rF0x macrumors member

Silv3rF0x

Do you know if anyone had been able to get this to work with Edge Network phone the 1st Iphone yet?

5. mynameisrichard macrumors member

My screen looks like your's! There's nothing inside the folder so I have nothing to select. What am I doing wrong?

6. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Sorry guys, that screen shot was taken from a different Mac.

Carrier file can be found here (post#11) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=723954&highlight=tethering
    Make sure to save it to User>Library>itunes>iphone carrier support folder. Then option click "check for update" in iTunes. It should send info to iPhone for a second. I did a sync afterwards just to be sure. VM should now work along with USB/Bluetooth tethering.

7. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Which ipcc file am I saving to the iPhone carrier support folder? The one I downloaded that unlocked tethering?

8. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

9. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

10. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Do I leave the extension as bundle or change it to ipcc?

Also, am I hitting check for update or restore when using the 5.0 carrier file? :confused:

11. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Okay, I'm adding a step to your tutorial:

Setup Visual VoiceMail:

1. Download the 5.0 carrier file here.
    2. This will download a folder called "payload". Choose that folder and get info. Uncheck the "hide extension" box and rename the folder this:
    Code:
    ATT_US.ipcc
    Close the get info box. The computer will ask if you're sure you'd like the change the extension. Click yes.
    3. Drop the newly created ATT_US.ipcc file into the "username"->Library->iTunes->iPhone Carrier Support folder.
    4. Keep the phone connected to iTunes and option + click Check for Update
    5. Navigate to your "username"->Library->iTunes->iPhone Carrier Support
    . Select the file contained within "iPhone Carrier Support" folder (the ATT_US.ipcc file you just created) and proceed. iTunes will update the carrier settings, and you'll have tethering and visual voicemail!

12. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

change to ipcc. option click "check for update".

13. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

You got it!

14. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Small problem. Seems if I use bluetooth and connect then disconnect, the hack undos itself. I then have to go back to iTunes and re-update the carrier settings. I'm going to do some more testing with this, hopefully it's only a bluetooth issue.

15. mynameisrichard macrumors member

When I change the the file from .bundle to .ipcc it turns into a folder and i don't know which file to choose.

16. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I've been at this all day. I now have VM & tethering to play alone side each other. What you need to do is a fresh install of the OS 3.0. Do not restore from backup. Set up as "new iPhone". This will place a stock version of Carrier file in User>Library>itunes>iphone carrier support
    Once that is fresh, follow the steps outlined here at the top of this page.

"iPhone 3.0 is live! so we are going to repost our tethering tutorial with some big improvements. You now don't have to do any downgrading or torrenting. Seems you can just run a little command in terminal (Make sure you are on OS 3.0 on a 3G iPhone and iTunes 8.2):
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE
    After that, the steps become a lot more simple.
    1. Download this file (for AT&T) and mount the disk image (thanks Gizmodo) for other carriers, try here.
    2. Option-click on "restore" in your iTunes with your iPhone attached. Browse to the opened disk image file and hit OK. It will update phone settings for a few seconds.
    3. You have tethering. Now go into your iPhone/settings/general/network/Internet Tethering and turn it on.
    Boom - 3 steps to tethering..."

Now that tethering is turned on and running, once again Option click "check for update". with iPhone still connected. Now navigate to the original carrier file to restore Visual VoiceMail. User>Library>itunes>iphone carrier support
    Sync the phone again or reboot. If done right, you should NOT see Network in Settings anymore. You can now test Visual VoiceMail and tethering again. It worked for me and my girlfriend's iPhone.

17. noxmax macrumors newbie

How does one add Ethernet Adaptor (en3) in OS X 10.4?

Step 4 above reads:

"4. With the USB still connected. Go to System Perferences>Network
    If Ethernet Adaptor (en3) is NOT on the list to your left, add it and hit Apply"

How does one do this in OS X 10.4? My port choices are modem, airport, built-in firewire, built-in ethernet, bluetooth, and 6 to 4. I've tried them all, but so far with no luck. Many thanks in advance for any help!

18. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I don't know about 10.4, but try the (+) symbol to add a connection.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. jctonett macrumors newbie

Well, I finally got both VVM and tethering working, but I don't want to mess around with SIM card swaps so I don't have (and I'm not trying to get) MMS. I can wait for that.

I know when I use my bt headset my iPhone battery life is a LOT worse... I wondering how tethering via bt will drain it?

20. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

This hack is a lot easier on the battery than jailbreak app PDANet.

Did you follow my steps here to get VM & tethering to work together?

21. jctonett macrumors newbie

I was kind of deep into it, as I started with a different hack. Ended up having to go back, restore, totally dump my iPhone contents, and *sort of* start over using your directions.

MMS is not important to me.

22. felipson macrumors member

noob question

Pardon my noobness. But everytime i change the file name from ATT_US.bundle to ATT_US.ipcc. the file turns into a folder. When i click on the the ATT_US.ipcc folder from itunes... the folder opens its contents. Any advice on how to remedy this problem is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

23. yeeguy macrumors newbie

Slight correction to Post #11

That 5.0 Carrier file gets downloaded as "ATT_US.ipcc.zip".
    Do NOT unzip the file -- it's not really a .zip file!
    Just Get Info on the ATT_US.ipcc.zip file, uncheck "hide extension" and rename it to "ATT_US.ipcc"
    When you close Get Info box, you'll see a dialog asking whether to change filetype to ".ipcc" or keep ".zip". Choose ".ipcc".
    Then follow steps 3-5 above and you'll have the .ipcc Carrier file in the right folder for iTunes to find.

Good luck and have fun!

24. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Hmm... my voicemail seems to be working fine. Does this hack affect everyone?