step by step guide to set SSD as boot only drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by butters149, Feb 27, 2010.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Is there a step by step guide somewhere to show how I can put a 2nd drive which would be a small SSD drive to boot only for bootcamp and OSX?

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

If your going to use one of the 4 bays using a 3.5 inch drive, just plug it in, initialize it, use disk utility to make 2 partitions. Then if you want, you can clone your current OS X to one of the partitions. Go from there. Never used the optical bays so someone else will have to chime in. What kind of SSD will you be using and where are you putting it?

3. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I should have been more specific, I have a late 2009 macbook pro unibody 15" with 2.8 gigz, 4gb DDR3 and 500GB HD

I want to use the MCE Optibay which is a bracket for mounting a HD in the optical drive location. I want to put the SSD as my primary boot up drive for both windows and osx and use the 500GB as storage mainly. I am thinking about the Intel X-25 80GB but not sure if that will be enough for both OS.

4. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Wrong section mate. You'll get a lot more answers if you ask that question in the macbook pro section instead of the mac pro!

:-D

Loa

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Swoosh, thread moved to the MacBook Pro forum. :)

6. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

80GB will be way more than enough for both OS's.

7. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

So once you have both the SSD and a Harddrive in, you'd expect the battery life to decrease. Is this true OP?

Also, IF it was true, and say, I was travelling on an airplane for 14 hours at a time, is there a way to "shut off" the HDD? Is it even worth the trouble?

8. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

What you have to do, is move all of your user's folders into the optibay.

Once you have Snow Leopard installed and running fine in the SSD, go over to the optibay drive, and format it/partition it as you wish.

Create directories in there, such as Downloads, Music, Documents, Pictures. Move all of your data that is currently in the SSD in those folders, into the Optibay drive.

Create a new admin account, log on as this new user.

In your optibay drive, create Aliases/softlinks for the folders you created by right clicking, in say, Documents -> Make Alias. You can now drag this alias into your User.

Now, everytime you download something, or access your photos/data, the softlink will redirect to your optibay drive.

And yes, if you don't use the data in your optibay drive, it will go to sleep after a while (provided you have set that up in Energy Saver preferences).

9. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Thanks for clearing that up!

10. paddyhazard macrumors regular

SO you dont move your user file into the HDD, just link the main folders? I know mac os doesnt like you messing with the user folder but you're ok to move all of the data inside of the main folders onto the HDD?