Step by step guide to switch to SSD needed.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Hi all,

I've bought an SSD for my Mac Mini and need to know how to transfer all my media to it.

I've bought a transfer kit etc.

So my home folder is stored on an external HD and my OS and apps are on my OEM drive. How do I clone this OEM drive to the SSD.

Which program and what's the step by step instructions for that program?

Thanks!

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
No offense but after 400 posts you should know how to find the information without having to wait and depend on curt replies. (Like mine :))

Clone Mac Drive

Comment

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Sorry but I have CCc just don't know how to make a 100% identical copy which is bootable

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sorry but I have CCc just don't know how to make a 100% identical copy which is bootable
Both the app's help feature and their website have step-by-step instructions on how to use the app to make bootable copies. All it takes is clicking and reading. You don't need someone in a forum to spoon-feed you information that is already available, if you just take the time to read. When you launch CCC, you're presented with a window that has this at the top:
ScreenCap 3.PNG

Comment

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Sorry but nowhere in the settings can I find anything that says I can make my backup a ,bootable disk. Whether I don't understand it or can't find it I don't know but I'm stuck and don't know how to make this backup identical so it can be used as my boot drive!

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sorry but nowhere in the settings can I find anything that says I can make my backup a ,bootable disk. Whether I don't understand it or can't find it I don't know but I'm stuck and don't know how to make this backup identical so it can be used as my boot drive!
Why don't people read anymore? :rolleyes:
Or when you open the app:
ScreenCap 11.PNG
ScreenCap 12.PNG

Last edited:
Comment

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
But where is the confirmation that the drive is bootable? Shouldn't it give me a text somewhere saying this drive is bootable?

Comment

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Fair enough ...

Thank you

----------

Oo one last bit .. Why are backup sizes smaller than the actual HD size?

And do the recovery partition get copied too? If not why and how do I do it

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you .. Although don't understand the 2nd one ...
From that link:
When performing a block copy of a Lion volume, CCC will automatically clone the Recovery HD volume associated with the source disk. Because the Recovery HD volume is not generally required on a backup volume, though, CCC will not clone this volume during an ordinary file-level backup.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.