step-by-step help please -- downgrade from SL to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MelanieC, Sep 7, 2009.

1. MelanieC macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I apologize for this question but I could not find a specific answer through a search of the forums. I upgraded my 13" unibody MacBook to Snow Leopard today and immediately began experiencing the same wireless connection problems that everyone has been having (sure wish I'd Googled "wireless network problems snow leopard" before installing... but the reviews were so glowing...)

I would like to downgrade to Leopard but am afraid I will lose my files as I did not clone my HD before upgrading. I have Time Machine set to backup my files whenever my external HD is connected, so I connected my HD and did a Time Machine backup before installing SL. I did not clone my HD, which I am now regretting, but I thought that Time Machine backups were safe enough.

I have the Leopard disks that came with my MacBook. What I need to know is how I can reinstall Leopard and then restore my files as they were from the Time Machine backup I made before installing SL. As I have never tried to downgrade before I am worried and am hoping for step-by-step instructions for how I would do this. Any help would be appreciated. I am reading that I would need to do a clean install that would erase my hard drive but am not certain that I would then be able to restore my files using the Time Machine backup I made right before installing SL.

The situation is complicated by the fact that I already tried to restore from the Time Machine backup I made before I installed SL, naively thinking that this would fix everything, but of course it only restated my files as they were before the SL install without changing the system back to Leopard. So anyway, you have some idea of what type of user you are dealing with here.

I swear, I have been using Macs since 1990 and used to know how to tinker under the hood to some extent, but I haven't had any problems for years and years and became very stupid in the meantime.

Would something like this work?

(1) Reinstall Leopard using original disks (assuming it would have to be a clean install, as in erase hard drive and install system, but if not, all the better).

(2) Hook up the external HD and then ask Time Machine to "restore" the image of my MacBook's HD from the backup made immediately before installing SL.

Could it be that easy, or am I missing something that would cause me to break my MacBook even more? I would like to have my wireless back.

Thank you very, very much.

-- Melanie

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

You should be able to boot to your 10.5 CD and in the installation process it should let you restore from a Time Machine backup during the installation.

Click on the Utilities menu, then Restore System from Backup...

Again, you would need to be sure to select a date prior to your install.

Hope this works.

3. Tmlcky macrumors newbie

Please let us know if you sorted out the problem.