Step counter that nags me...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by utcarsons, Oct 16, 2016.

1. utcarsons macrumors regular

Anyone have a step counter type app that will send notifications if you aren't moving or reaching xx% of your goal each day? I have step counters that work ok (Pedometer++, etc.) but I could definitely use some nagging to get up and walk around during the day. Ideally, something that would yell at me at noon if I haven't done 50% of my steps or at 7 pm if I haven't done 80-100%.

Thoughts anyone?

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

If there isn't an app yet, it sounds like an opportunity to write one.

3. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Do you have Apple's activity notifications on? It basically reminds you every hour to move and gives you little progress reminders during the day.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....Also having Stand reminders is important. When you stand you should always make it a point to walk around for at least a couple of minutes.

5. utcarsons thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I have notifications on. They only work some of the time. Seems to be a common problem for me since the last round of updates. I've tried several activity tracker apps this week to find a good fit for this problem and just looking for a one-stop-shop sort of fitness tracker. Nothing is really meeting my needs right now. UA Record is close, but seems very moody about actually syncing. UP (by Jawbone) is a beautifully designed app, but apparently makes up its own mysterious step count. I'd rather it just use the data from HealthKit. I'm missing my FitBit more and more which is a sad sort of realization. It's entirely a software failure. C'mon Apple. You can make Health SO much better.

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Just to be clear --

Fitbit chose (understandably, IMO) to ignore step data accumulated via the Watch. It's there in Health -- you can see if for yourself -- and some other apps use it. But, in an effort to protect sales of their own tracker bands, Fitbit wrote their app to ignore Watch data.

Don't blame Apple for this. It's hard to blame Fitbit, though, too, because most of their revenue comes from wearables.

7. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Cakewalk is an app that does this. But it's very simplistic, on both the phone and the watch.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi