Step Ring

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Fidget77, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Fidget77 macrumors newbie

I've been toying with all sorts of iphone apps that claim to have a watch component in order to find one that will allow me to set a step goal of 10,000 steps and use the count from my watch to update it. So far, although the apps will show on the watch, they all use the step count directly off my iphone. Unfortunately, I don't always have my phone on me (especially if I'm in a Zumba class) so I lose all those steps and at the end of the day, it claims I have ~2000-3000 steps instead of the 10,000 that I really have. Swiping down on the activity screen to see the count is a bit annoying, I would love it if Apple added a 4th ring for steps!! Anyone else?

2. friedmud macrumors 65816

It may be time to just rearrange your daily exercise regimen around calories. It seems like Apple is preferring that over steps (That's essentially what the outside ring is). Instead of thinking of steps... just try to burn calories.

It makes sense to me because each step is not worth the same amount calorically. So while there are good rules of thumb about the number of steps you should take every day it's not as directly relatable to your weight loss goals as calories.

Your other option is to wait for watchOS 2.0... it sounds like third-party apps are going to be able to interact directly with the biometric data on the watch once it launches (this fall).